Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I stop talking about the same topics all the time?
Part of having Autism is having specific interests- Example- I'm super into geography and I spend a good portion of every day thinking about it.

This is a gift and a curse. On one hand, I bet I will find a job where my knowledge of geography will make me indispensable (which is likely because I will be majoring in history, and geography plays into that). On the other hand, I talk about it all the time.

But the trouble is, I don't know how to stop. Every conversation I have always seems to lead back to geography. Other topics just don't excite me- Talking about geography gives me a thrill that no other topic can match.

I'm legitimately seeking help here because my brain is an Autistic brain and sometimes I need the innate social knowledge of non-Autistic people to help me figure out what to do.

Question: Is this a problem you've noticed all on your own or is your awareness of it due to feedback from other people?

Doctors thought for a long time that I have Aspergers because I also am passionate about one or two specific things and everything goes back to that. But I'm not. I don't think it's something you should try to change, it's part of who you are. Look at it this way - everyone else is "obsessed" with mundane day-to-day stuff and that's all THEY talk about. That's how I see it and I find it very boring! You just need to find friends who share the same interests as you do.

BTW, I don't believe that people with Aspergers should try and be like everyone else. Their brains are wired differently and it assumes that "everyone else" does everything right. People should learn how to tolerate differences in each other, IMO.

I understand it's difficult to communicate with people sometimes; I have that problem, too. But I do my best and try to find people who can appreciate me for who I am because I do the same for them.

If you try and force yourself to talk about other things, it will just be a fake interest. I think it's better to be your genuine self. Smile

well, I have Aspergers, which Is high functioning Autism, so I am not technically a Non-Autistic person, But I have the same problem, usually it is whatever I'm currently obsessed with.
Right now, Digimon, the new Digimon game coming out, and the old ps1 Digimon game Digimon World are my main obsession, and I can talk about them for forever, but when I need to stop talking about it, I try to get myself obsessed with the act of conversing, talking about random things not related to digimon that ocme to mind, so, I'm not sure if you've done that or not, but is woth a try no?

I do agree with the above reply about being yourself though, so unless it is absolutley neccissary, don't try to talk about something that doesn't interest you okay :3

MikeW Wrote:Question: Is this a problem you've noticed all on your own or is your awareness of it due to feedback from other people?

Feedback from others

Try Reddit and IFuckingLoveScience. Maybe something will catch your attention. Other than that, what's wrong with wanting to talk about geography?

Well.. Personally I have little interest in the subject and it's a science that is literally set in stone, so what's there to discuss? Atleast you have something to talk about.

Arkansota Wrote:Feedback from others
I'm just trying to understand why you feel this is something you need to change. So who are these 'others', your parents, friends, brothers or sisters?

That's interesting, I also have a passion for geography; I can name all the US states, Canadian provinces, and most countries, as well as their capitals. When I was a small child my teachers thought I had autism because I had trouble grasping certain concepts, and during my teenage years I was very awkward and did not know how to socialize with people. I've come a very long way since then, but I can still be awkward in certain social situations.

What I would suggest to you is to be more aware of what your common interests are with whoever your talking to and just stick to that. I know it's not much to go on, but that's what I paid attention to when I was trying to be more open with people and socialize more.

Arkansota Wrote:Part of having Autism is having specific interests- Example- I'm super into geography and I spend a good portion of every day thinking about it.

This is a gift and a curse. On one hand, I bet I will find a job where my knowledge of geography will make me indispensable (which is likely because I will be majoring in history, and geography plays into that). On the other hand, I talk about it all the time.

But the trouble is, I don't know how to stop. Every conversation I have always seems to lead back to geography. Other topics just don't excite me- Talking about geography gives me a thrill that no other topic can match.

I'm legitimately seeking help here because my brain is an Autistic brain and sometimes I need the innate social knowledge of non-Autistic people to help me figure out what to do.

Can you delineate exactly what you mean when you say "talking about geography?"

To me there's a difference between, say for example, being very interested in places, their histories, the things that make them unique or well known, vs. are we just talking about borderlines, physical sizes, locations, etc.?

It would probably be difficult for me to find the former boring.