Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I tolerate college?
As usual Bowyn, your Brain is just spitting knowledge like if it was a lawn sprinkler
Hypnotized-smiley lol.

~

And I would just like to point out, college is not for every person directly out of Highschool or even 2 or 3 years afterwards, whether it be for financial, emotional reasons or just not feeling ready for it.

There is absolutely no shame in taking the time to figure out in your life, what it is that you wish to do with it. Everyone expects you to automatically fall into college life right after highschool and though that is great and rainbows and all that, it isn't for everyone.

I myself was one of those people; "Momma, Um got all de colleges lined up, just you watch"

And swiftly realized that not only was my Family and I Financially unable at the time, but I myself had and still have 2 paths in life that I wish to follow and while I am along in both, I still haven't decided which to pursue first, as I'm going to do both.

Whether you have Autism, ADHD, Bi-Polar, or in any other way shape or form handicapped or not, you should never feel as if though you have to rush into anything and it's okay to take the time to decide really want it is in life you want or wish to do.

Honestly, people spend 1/3-2/3 of their life in school, getting their papers, only to find out they find working in a job completely unrelated to their educational background.

And while it was not a waste to get those papers, the time spent on them could've been spent differently.

I felt like a complete and utter failure and disappointment when I had to drop out of college last year, even though it was financially out of my hands, because I was the first person in my family to go to college, my Grandmother never went, my Mother never went, my Father never went, my Uncle never went, So I felt extremely proud to be representing my family, but then absolutely disgusted when I had to drop out. One of the reasons I joined this site, as I wanted to be in contact with people not from here, because they couldn't judge me, didn't know my story, and just at the time were a form of outlet for me...

My Family kept saying they were proud of me regardless, but I still felt like a loser. I would've had my Associates in the Arts this June...

So take the time to make sure your life is in order, Financially, Emotionally, just everything, because you don't want regrets and disappointments later on down the road.

Remember, there's no shame in taking a back seat and figuring things out, really there isn't.

People say "oh he didn't go to college... oh no...what's he gonna do?" "He's gonna get stuck in a deadend job"

But to all that, I say fuck it, because while college education is awesome, and something I personally want, it's not something for other's it's for you and there are jobs that offer great monetary opportunities that do not require a college education.

While you may not rule the world as Bowyn has said, you'd atleast be able to rule what is best for you and that's all you can do.

Okay, no work ethic, fine, perhaps because you have Autism, things may have been handed over to you on a gold and diamond encrusted plate, but here's what has to click in your brain, Do you forever want to rely on someone else? Be utterly dependent on someone else for survival?

That would be unfair for that person(s) and for yourself, as you will not be truly living your own life.

Get a job packing groceries or something, it will help give you a work ethic, teach you responsibility as you would be handling someone else's things, give you people skills in greeting people and helping them if they require it.

When I was little(like 13-14), I worked with a girl who had Downs Syndrome and she was just everything gurl, the whole nine yards and a foot;

"Good morning Sir! You want help with that Ma'am?"

And while this was part of our Job and is typical of Bermudians anyway, the way she said it and carried herself was really just everything Sheep .

So while you say you are Special Needs and perhaps you are, you cannot continue to use this as a scapegoat for the hardships and difficult choices in life.

Blind People have to walk to get where they have to go daily, Deaf people have to be surrounded by people chattering and laughing around them, people in Wheel Chairs and Scooters have to watch people walk around them, day in and out, and yet, these people find a way to live their lives and more often then not live them happily and successfully. As they should and are entitled to.

You're no different, things may be significantly more challenging for you than I, however, to me, that's more a reason to become better, to show you are not a weak, dependent individual and are capable of existing outside of your "impairment".

People thought I was slow because of my Lisp, which luckily for me isn't to bad, extending only to words with "S" in them, but I showed that I wasn't, by speaking my mind, getting good grades, doing things the other kids said I couldn't and sometimes beating them out.

Don't let what limits people put on you to set your goal and expectations in life.

Sure, College is hard, life is hard, but you know what, Life is also a privilege and can be so great and fun if you work at it and allow it to be. So what if you aren't the most popular, academically or athletically inclined person, you can work at these things and not only that, but they aren't the standard at which true happiness should be held for everyone.

On this one Arkansota ma'am, I can see where you're coming from, but you really do need to take grasp of what you feels makes you weak or immeasurable to others and completely flip the switch and make a good out of bad.

Excuses are for the Weak.

Hands-make-heart