Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do i meet people on vacations?
I know i'll be going on a lot of vacations next year, and i've heard how much fun some of my friends sometimes have it meeting new people while on vacation, both other turists and locals Big Grin so far i know i'll be going to Alanya in Turkey, and prob also either Miami/Santa cruz/ Washington DC and New York and some other places i haven't really decided yet.
I would just really like to meet some people while i'm there, go to events with people on my own age, instead of being stuck with my parents and the rest of my family :/
So do anybody have any ideas/experience on how i can meet people and have even more fun on my vacation Big Grin

Get to know the local customs, do's and don't's and think like you are in college and everybody is willing to meet everybody. Some of the travelers here should have suggestions. Just don't be shy.
I bid NO Trump!

Well that gonna be a problem, i'm pretty shy :/

Do you use any social networking apps?

MickTheMousie Wrote:Well that gonna be a problem, i'm pretty shy :/

You don't seem shy here.

Oh, but then again that's the same for...a lot of us.

The key, then, is to take "here" to real life eh? I wish I could help you with the "how".
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

MickTheMousie Wrote:...Santa cruz...

I would just really like to meet some people while i'm there, go to events with people on my own age, instead of being stuck with my parents and the rest of my family :/
So do anybody have any ideas/experience on how i can meet people and have even more fun on my vacation Big Grin
Santa Cruz, California? If so, that would be an 'odd' choice for someone not familiar with it. SC is a kind of a laid-back, hippyish, "surfer," beach and resort town. It's about 2 hours south of where I am. I highly recommend here, Berkeley or SF, over SC. Lots more people for one thing. A lot more to do, for another.

MickTheMousie Wrote:Well that gonna be a problem, i'm pretty shy :/

You know, Mick, it's ok to BE shy. The trick is to not let it stop you. There are TONS... billions... of shy people in the world. Chances are, like me, you're more of an introvert than an extravert and so, comparing yourself to those obnoxious loud mouth bores, of course you're shy, or feel that you are. THEY take up so much damn social space its hard for the rest of us to get a word in edgewise.

[Image: SassySchoolPull.png]

IDK... does this fit for who/what you are?

[Image: how_to_live_with_introverts_guide_printa...b09fj.jpeg]

In any case, don't worry about it. Most likely all the people who you fear are thinking about you? They really aren't or not for very long because they're all too busy thinking about themselves to seriously concern themselves with you.

Just say'n. ...

I'm actually VERY extrovert, but not before i get comfy around you, before then, getting me to talk, good luck... and i just feel so awkward around other people :/

I'm not sure i know what a networking app is or if i know any?

MickTheMousie Wrote:I'm not sure i know what a networking app is or if i know any?
Not sure specifically what [MENTION=22355]Pacific[/MENTION] was referring to. Here's a list of some. The one gay one mentioned, Grindr, is mostly for hookups. There are several others like Scruff, Hornet, etc.

MikeW Wrote:You know, Mick, it's ok to BE shy. The trick is to not let it stop you. There are TONS... billions... of shy people in the world. Chances are, like me, you're more of an introvert than an extravert and so, comparing yourself to those obnoxious loud mouth bores, of course you're shy, or feel that you are. THEY take up so much damn social space its hard for the rest of us to get a word in edgewise.

IDK... does this fit for who/what you are?

[Image: how_to_live_with_introverts_guide_printa...b09fj.jpeg]

interesting picture, Mike. however, i don't fit the definition of either the extravert or the introvert by that logic, or by most descriptions i've run across. i don't get energy from other people but neither do i expend my energy on them... i do feel energized by interacting with people i like, but i don't get it from them and the energy is not diminished in the course of that interaction. it's not exhausting to interact with people.

i've never been able to figure out on which side of the coin i am on this thing. i feel like i am both, depending on the situation and circumstances. i'm certainly not apparently extraverted.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

MicktheMousie Wrote:So do anybody have any ideas/experience on how i can meet people and have even more fun on my vacation Big Grin

look up the local gay clubs/scene, go to a concert, eat out, go to a cinema? ... that's what i do, anyway. not particularly in order to meet people, though. i just enjoy all of that.

you wanna meet people you gotta go to where people are.

when i was your age (i assume you're somewhere close to 20), i backpacked through the continent of Europe twice over by hitchhiking. that was an excellent way to meet people. i was propositioned for sex quite a number of times, and with one guy i actually did it too, on the road. i also made quite a number of interesting acquaintances, who, i'm sorry to say, i let slip in the course of time, but with whom we did follow up regularly right after my trips. and people who pick you up, usually have more open and extensive traveling experiences themselves (usually, not always).

i'm too old for hitchhiking now and wouldn't care to repeat it either, but at the right age that can be a transformative/spiritual/exciting experience, whatever's your outlet. it's not the type of thing for everybody, though. it's not an easy way to travel, and it depends a lot on the local customs/logistics in this regard, and the time. when i did it, in the beginning of the 21st century, it was a thing. when i started out, it still roused a sensation in my circle of friends, but a year or two later others were following suit and it was rather commonplace to hear about it.
''Do I look civilized to you?''