Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we rid society of gay stereotypes?
And anyway

Stereotypes can be fun to play on!
And generally a good chunk of people are stereotypical (like you bitching about being not stereotypical and actually you are playin along with the 'masculine I'm gay but not stereotypically gay' stereotype

u.u

Arkansota Wrote:I'm gay. I'm not neat. I hate fashion and shopping isn't my thing. My voice is masculine. So how do we get this message out that gay people like me exist?

[B]To answer your question:[/B]
Everyone knows that gay people with "masculine" characteristics exist,
yet the gay stereotype remains....
Them knowing won't change that,
because it so far hasn't.

And lets,
for hypothetical reasons,
say that every stereotypically gay man in the world
(those with even one characteristic shy of being considered stereotypical)
died right now,
and every gay man being born from then on all naturally fit a hyper-masculine stereotype of straight men....
then what?

Would we stop being ridiculed and ostracized by society for being gay?
Would Iran stop killing gay men?
Would tolerance and acceptance sweep the globe,
and sexuality be non-existant on people's mind
when judging a man who just happens to be gay?

Would new stereotypes cease from ever coming into existence,
therefore,
not replacing the old one's that would no longer apply to the now extinct feminine gay male stereotype?

I've never thought too much about this to be honest. I just act as I act naturally- it all just comes from within me and I don't put much thought into it. I've got masculine and feminine qualities, so there's kind of a duality. I think my feminine traits are a lot more apparent in my interests and passions than in my personal conduct though. That said, a lot of people who didn't initially know I was gay have been really surprised when they found out.

Some people just fulfill the roles of stereotypes I think, whether they consciously do that or not. I don't think that stereotypes are in and of themselves a bad thing, it's more the dimwits who take the stereotypes to indiscriminately apply to the entire community of people in which they exist.

^^^ You need to round up all your blonde surfers and dye them brunette. End of stereotype.

^^^ Learn them all maths - that way they can sound smart.

^^^ yeay for math~ XD

Arkansota Wrote:I'm gay. I'm not neat. I hate fashion and shopping isn't my thing. My voice is masculine. So how do we get this message out that gay people like me exist?

I love fashion, shopping, my voice is masculine, I love broadway and cooking :| so... I'm just gonna leave this thread... lol

Mmm... regarding stereotypes in the media, these things are usually overblown and exaggerated because it makes the characters easily distinguished from the others. And, well, currently the easiest way to distinguish a gay man... well... Yeah. Much as I love the Pride Parade it doesn't help matters much, either.

These things take time. Getting angry about it won't help. Currently I believe that the awareness is changing up as homosexuality becomes more normal in the public eyes through exposure to recent news.

I hate to tell you, though--don't expect media displays of homosexuality to change very quickly aside from the art pieces...

I'm gay, I'm married, I'm a father (not just once but 5 times), I do not hate fashion as I dress the way I want (or the way Alex wants me to dress - that's more like it LOL) and honestly I don't give a rat ass about it... I do hate shopping but my blondylocks loves shopping so him and my oldest daughter shop for all of us. My voice is naturally the voice that developed with me... if it sound feminine to some who cares... but I do sing bass tenor and soprano opera so the voice can be modified. And last but not least I'm BLACK - remember?
Quote:If the black can have their own community why not the gay people.
Remember that sentence you wrote on another thread of yours? Well that's come from a little dude that ask for stereotypes to drop among the gay people... but yet he's comparing a social group with a sexual orientation... Want stereotypes to drop? It starts with you! Drop your stereotypes and xenophobia of people that are not like you or think like you and I'd say you'll see how brighter the world is when you take some times to stop and look at your own reflection in the mirror.

Bass tenor Opera? how the hell is that even possible!? D; teach me mastur.