Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you define "Gay Culture"?
I'm really curious about this because I keep hearing the phrase used by gays and straights and forgetting to ask people to give me their definitions of what "gay culture" is...

So go for it... I'll give a prize for the best answer....

That's actually a very difficult question to answer, as it depends on the person and their definition of gay.

For me, men who prefer to sleep with men exclusively are 'gay'. Using that broad a definition, gay culture can be as varied as 'straight culture'.

However, I know some guys who consider themselves 'butch' or 'straight-acting' and consider 'gay' to be stereotypical behavior, like Mitch and Cam from Modern Family or "Mango" from SNL. They would never go to a pride march or gay bar, and therefore, "gay" has a different meaning and they would have a very different list and feeling for gay culture than I would.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

"fabulous"

flaming drag queens waiving rainbow banners.
Of course they would need to be flying on winged unicorns surfing rainbows while blasting RuPaul.

(I am kidding of course)

cul·ture
ˈkəlCHər/
noun
noun: culture
the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

So gay art and gay intellectual achievements...

Right?

:tongue:

Gay Culture.....

Hmmmmmmm..........

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:cul·ture
ˈkəlCHər/
noun
noun: culture
the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

So gay art and gay intellectual achievements...

Right?

:tongue:

so can you name some collective gay intellectual achievements? I'm just trying to pin all this down so I'd appreciate the help.

East Wrote:Gay Culture.....

Hmmmmmmm..........

East... next time just try beating me in the head with a 50 lb bag of glitter.

memechose Wrote:East... next time just try beating me in the head with a 50 lb bag of glitter.

Make it a 75 lb bag...and we got a dealXyxthumbs

To me, people in the center of "gay culture" are those who are defined by being gay. That is their entire identity and they let it dictate who they are, they choices they make, and their interests. If they woke up straight tomorrow, they wouldn't know a single thing about who they are.