Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you define "Gay Culture"?
No idea! Anything that involes gay I avoid and indeed shocked and many whom know me would be asking if I am feeling alright being here!

Been in a gay bar what twice in my life.... Been on dates and if I become aware he is one for the ''scene'' we part. Servered me very well in life and thus not within the drama that spews out of it !

I just see myself a guy that likes guys. That is it. Anything else is baggage by reason of sexuality that I don't need nor have ever desired.

So for me I have no idea. Would say there was no gay culture.... If there is I have went this far in life wiithout it Smile

Uneunsae Wrote:To me, people in the center of "gay culture" are those who are defined by being gay. That is their entire identity and they let it dictate who they are, they choices they make, and their interests. If they woke up straight tomorrow, they wouldn't know a single thing about who they are.

That one phrase that you used "defined by being gay". says it all. And I sometimes wonder about "gay community" too. Where I live, the gay community would be me and my partner. Well, I have a few suspicions, but I leave those closet doors alone.
It's interesting. And I sometimes wonder if we're helping or hurting the cause of equality if we set ourselves apart.

Uneunsae Wrote:To me, people in the center of "gay culture" are those who are defined by being gay. That is their entire identity and they let it dictate who they are, they choices they make, and their interests. If they woke up straight tomorrow, they wouldn't know a single thing about who they are.

Once again a thoughtful and well reasoned post.

I read this and say to myself 'I am not defined by being gay' - it is but a part of me. 99.999999 % of the people on this planet would not know that I am gay - I don't have a tattoo on my forehead or wear shirts proclaiming that I am gay.

So for me, the gay culture does not exist. There are gay stereotypes (almost perfectly depicted in Etote's post - he forgot the tutu!) but are they the gay culture? Or are they just images that people use to depict the gay culture.

It could be stated that this and other similar forums are part of the gay culture, since most of us here are not straight. But is there any one thing that all gays do that can be identified as culture? Hell, I am belting out show tunes right now and so is my neighbor (who is not gay). So does that mean we are part of the 'show tune singing' culture?

Well just like with straight people, gay people come in many different sizes, colors, and personalities, so as I see it, the only common thread found in all of "gay culture" and the only thing I see that really defines gay culture across all spectrums is the desire to be treated with dignity and respect and to have the same rights and opportunity's as the rest of the population.

Culture [constructed with an adjective or an object] (hence gay culture) : Quality, competence that the possession of an extensive knowledge based on experience gives to a person or a society in a particular field of expertise in a given period or place.

Following the definition, I don't think gay culture exists; such an expression is surely mistaken with a mix of clichés and iconic gay images put together under the word culture.

But it depends on your/the definition you choose, I chose the one that is linguistically close to that particular definition.

We can also find : Set of particular traits common to a group, spiritually, intellectually, materially, that caracterize that group.

Here, a gay culture might exist.

It all depends on the definition of culture...

Gay culture is slowly changing from the old days of being a limp wristed sissy who likes shopping and decorating to being the same as heterosexuals except loving the same sex.

About time.

happyschizoid Wrote:Gay culture is slowly changing from the old days of being a limp wristed sissy who likes shopping and decorating to being the same as heterosexuals except loving the same sex.

About time.

Maybe I'm the weird one. I don't even get turned on by a guy who's not as masculine as I am...

happyschizoid Wrote:Gay culture is slowly changing from the old days of being a limp wristed sissy who likes shopping and decorating to being the same as heterosexuals except loving the same sex.

About time.

Amen to that. I will reply to this properly when I don't feel like crap (have a huge head cold at the moment). But I personally think the term gay culture is a bit.......unhelpful. Partly because it implies that if you don't embrace all aspects of that culture, you are a failure.
Also I would kind of dispute whether a gay "community" existed at all. Instead you have lots of sub communities - bear, twink, leather etc. which doesn't really help the majority of us who don't fit into any of those nice neat categories...
Maybe that's off topic but it's kind of relevant.

Some of us are feminine and it has nothing to do with "gay culture" but it's who we are. Now, many gay men hate us because they are afraid of whatever label they will get if they like us. And it's "cool" and "the thing" to say how you loathe us femmes. Yeah, there are some "bitchy queeny" types, but I think that doesn't have much to do with being feminine. It's an attitude problem and many "butch" guys have the equivalent, thinking they are God's gift. You know, the stud mentality.

ExpatBrit77 Wrote:Amen to that. I will reply to this properly when I don't feel like crap (have a huge head cold at the moment). But I personally think the term gay culture is a bit.......unhelpful. Partly because it implies that if you don't embrace all aspects of that culture, you are a failure.
Also I would kind of dispute whether a gay "community" existed at all. Instead you have lots of sub communities - bear, twink, leather etc. which doesn't really help the majority of us who don't fit into any of those nice neat categories...
Maybe that's off topic but it's kind of relevant.

I'm thinking about swapping slobber with you for that thought. That was exactly the stuff that makes me horn up and want to talk to a guy for oore than just the 'conversation."