Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you defy stereotypes?
No gay person fits the stereotypes 100%. In this forum, I want to know how you are different from the stereotype of a gay person.

Since the tab on this went blue, I'll start, but I'll keep it short because I actually don't want this to be only about me. I want it to be a community discussion.

I defy stereotypes by not caring about fashion.

well..

Let see..

Gay stereotypes as in?

I drive a VW Bug, I go to the gym a lot, I'm artsy and like to craft and paint.
I love to cook, I like cheesy music, I love to dance and sing. I have lots of
friends that are girls, I like clothes, but not trends.

But I also love beer. Like to play sports, but not really watch it. I love to
go on hikes and being outdoors. I don't care about the way I look most of the time.
I can kick it with my straight guy friends just fine.

I don't see why gay guys can't have it all. A lot of the 'gay stereotypes' I listed
about myself can apply to a lot of my straight guy friends too.

justbry87 Wrote:well..

Let see..

Gay stereotypes as in?

I drive a VW Bug, I go to the gym a lot, I'm artsy and like to craft and paint.
I love to cook, I like cheesy music, I love to dance and sing. I have lots of
friends that are girls, I like clothes, but not trends.

But I also love beer. Like to play sports, but not really watch it. I love to
go on hikes and being outdoors. I don't care about the way I look most of the time.
I can kick it with my straight guy friends just fine.

I don't see why gay guys can't have it all. A lot of the 'gay stereotypes' I listed
about myself can apply to a lot of my straight guy friends too.

Exactly. I like basketball, especially March Madness. I hate this trend of wearing penis constricting jeans. HATE IT.

On another note, the stereotype of gay people having "gay voices" is especially annoying. Most of the gay men I know have voices that don't sound "gay" at all. And I have heard straight men that I thought were gay because of their voices.

figured i was gay a lot later in life.
Not ready to drop ever article of junk i accumulated but no big debs to keep anything either.

Jesus christ, I am so messy. I cannot clean or organize at all.

Hmm... I think neat-freakishness is one of our "stereotypes"... so I definitely fail on that front. I am a huge procrastinator when it comes to cleaning Laugh

I'm pretty sure I'm generally "straight-acting", as they say. Most of my friends tend to be quite surprised when they learn I'm into guys. I probably have the occasional bout of drama-queeny-ness, but In general I don't think my actions are particularly cliched.

Not particularly well-versed in the gay "cliches"... but I'm more or less pretty sure that I don't fall under them to any moderate degree. Or at least, if I do, then it's going right over my head, and nobody's pointed it out xD

What stereotypes? Which of them? Do you realize how many of them there is and how different they are? It's not possible to defy stereotypes simply because they make no sense Wink

Eg. soccer - I'm from Europe so for me it is called Football and is considered macho-manly while I know in USA it's considered gay, so honestly, which one? XD I hate football (soccer for you Americans), I played Hockey so I guess I do defy something Tongue

By the way, there's no bigger turn off for me than the soft wrist and "gay voice", life would be horrible if all gay guys had it, wouldn't it? Laugh

Just be yourself, whether that follows the stereotypes or not. Who cares if there's a list of things that describe a "gay" behavior that you fit into? Don't allow stereotyping to control who you really are. And if you don't fit into the stereotypes, still be yourself. It still doesn't matter.

Agree. While on thought I came to conclusion that I don't particularly fall under the stereotypes, it's not something I particularly worry about - and not something I've previously considered. We are who we are and all that. At the end of the day straight people probably fall to these stereotypes as often as gays do, I don't think being gay automatically makes you act a certain way, and I don't think not being gay stops you from acting a certain way. Way more variables come into the equation than just sexuality.