Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Rant
Allrighty so i decided to try online dating.. since me and my boyfriend split up

Sites used
Grindr
Growlr
and Plenty of fish

Grinder- It was pretty cool at first. talked to a few people... Then i got a message from my ex's friend boyfriends
so i was like ok ill talk to you for a bit, just being freindly

long story short. he wants to sleep with me and cheat on his boyfriend. He sent me naked pictures of him self.
So i stoped talking to him

Growlr- Nothing really since there's only a bunch of old men looking for random hookups

POF-It was ok at first... met a really cute guy. untill he stoped talking to me....
alot of old men messaging me for hook ups and stuff. Now im 18. and there is 30+ year olds messaging me for sex. ummm no thank you

Rant about all of them.- WHY DO YOU FEEL THE NEED TO TAKE A PICTURE OF YOURSELF NAKED/IN YOUR UNDERWARE/SHIRTLESS 99% of these people look extremely desperate and arnt attractive

Ya, online dating is a lot like regular dating, you have to sort through a lot of garbage to find a gem. lol

Never tried it, really sounds scary to me.

I am at an age where I get it from both extremes. I get 18-20 year olds and 60+ year olds messaging with nude pics and sex requests,even though I specify my preferred age range and that I hate hook-ups/sex requests (I believe guys look at pics only and think 'I'll do that'), and it is instant turn off and instant ignore.

I don't think dating websites are a bad thing as long as you stay true to yourself.

Yeah, it does fell really weird when really old people just starting to message you, even though your preference was like 18-20 or waht not.

Dating websites just suck in general... either you get messages from people you don't want to talk you, or you message people you might like and get no response. Thats pretty much what I've experienced :p

Guys, it's 2011 - social media (and this includes twitter, Facebook, and all the gay dating and "hookup sites) are here to stay. Bashing a site - any site - because someone hits on you is pretty weak in my opinion. I met my partner on Adam4Adam - a site who's reputation as a "hookup" site is well documented. BUT, my profile on there made it VERY CLEAR that i wasn't looking for a random hookup or FWB situation.

I posted profiles on almost EVERY gay site on the web - traditional gay dating sites and hookup sites - with the same basic message: I'm an inshape, masculine, versitle, gainfully employed, drug/drama free single man who's looking for more than randoms sex. I appreciate all the compliments and offers (yes, i posted a number of pictures - including semi-nude), but please respect the fact that i'm looking to meet a guy (or guys) for social interaction - not sexual.

I then went on to post what i was looking for in a potential mate. Yes, i had to sift through the messages from guys who only saw my face pic and wanted to "trick," but i did get a number of replies from guys who were also looking to go on a date.

Dating is like MARKETING/ADVERTISING. YOu have to use all the tools at your disposal to attract attention. It worked for me and i met the man that i know i'll spend the rest of my life with!

Regarding the nude/shirtless/etc. comment.... while I don't post pics nude online, I have posted shirtless pics despite having a far from great body. I actually had someone recently tell me it was 'too much' for them even though I didn't show, in their words, 'peen.' The thing is, I'm a very modest person that has worn shirts to water parks. The pics aren't representative of who I am, in that sense. But too often, someone just looks at the pic without reading the profile even if you're honest about being stocky or hairy or whatever.... and they express interest. But that interest is false, superficial interest based on what they think is a cute face. I'd much rather just get the body out of the way sometimes, because it saves time and heartache.

It's best to be honest in your profile I think; but you'll still get messages from people you aren't going to have an interest in. But what's so wrong with that? Just be honest and don't lead them on, and they'll stop (if they don't, block them). And watch out for the fakes (some are obvious, a few playing games are not).

Best form of dating is real life dating that way theres more chit chat and not alot of sex as most on datings sites just want a quick fuck and ur out lol

I met my girlfriend on OkCupid.com, and I try and always mention that whenever a topic like this sprouts up anywhere.

Meeting someone online is (in my eyes) a legitimate way to meet someone these days, and absolutely can lead to a real-life relationship in person. It just takes trust, and I think maybe people connect meeting someone online to creeps who have no social life or standards, like it's demeaning or makes you less of a person for even thinking about it.

I dunno where that sort of thinking comes from, I mean, the widespread use of the internet is out in the world. I'd imagine there's probably at least a billion people who use the internet, so to try and rationalize that everyone on there is untrustworthy or socially inept or whatever, it's silly if you ask me.

But anyway, you can always try OkCupid, it's for straight/gay/bi and lots of members are there, and it's free. Very nice site. I would imagine there's a decent number of people near you, if I know my geography correctly, Vancouver is a pretty big city. I'd bet lots of people are on there.

And if you're willing, long distance relationships work out too with some people. My dad and stepmom being a 10 year example, or me and my girlfriend approaching 2. It all depends on you and who you find, of course. But if it's any consolation, there's more to determining whether a relationship will work out than just whether you meet the person in real life or on the internet first.