Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do young people view the future?
Tapping a quick one liner out on a mobile phone didn't really give me much to convey my meaning.

The comment I was responding to was "We all seem to believe that if America collapses or files bankruptcy we will take the world economy down with us"

If America collapses I don't believe it will take the world economy with it. It may stumble for a bit, but it will carry on.

China and India are rising economies and it is naive in the extreme to think that the West are their only customers (or that they are solely suppliers). China has an increasing internal market and it trades with more than just "the West"

Also, my original comment said "IF". Just two letters but a big concept. I don't happen to think the USA or EU will collapse.

Gilhooly said to me "Maybe he thinks China will welcome the West as undocumented workers in China." - I'm not sure where you got that idea from. He seems to making a rather large number of assumptions.

Anyway, what gets me most about the follow up comments is how self-important certain people (based in the US) are about the USA's global economic impact is. Maybe the USA had a huge impact in the 20th Century but now it is waning and there are viable contenders for the top spot.

I've said my bit now, but ultimately the actual answer is summed up as: Qué será será

colinmackay Wrote:Tapping a quick one liner out on a mobile phone didn't really give me much to convey my meaning.

The comment I was responding to was "We all seem to believe that if America collapses or files bankruptcy we will take the world economy down with us"

If America collapses I don't believe it will take the world economy with it. It may stumble for a bit, but it will carry on.

China and India are rising economies and it is naive in the extreme to think that the West are their only customers (or that they are solely suppliers). China has an increasing internal market and it trades with more than just "the West"

Also, my original comment said "IF". Just two letters but a big concept. I don't happen to think the USA or EU will collapse.

Gilhooly said to me "Maybe he thinks China will welcome the West as undocumented workers in China." - I'm not sure where you got that idea from. He seems to making a rather large number of assumptions.

Anyway, what gets me most about the follow up comments is how self-important certain people (based in the US) are about the USA's global economic impact is. Maybe the USA had a huge impact in the 20th Century but now it is waning and there are viable contenders for the top spot.

I've said my bit now, but ultimately the actual answer is summed up as: Qué será será

No, honey, it's not self importance it is called being in touch with reality and not paying too much credence to exaggerated news stories:

The economy of the United States is the world's largest national economy. Its nominal GDP was estimated to be nearly $14.7 trillion in 2010,[1] approximately a quarter of nominal global GDP.[14][15] Its GDP at purchasing power parity was also the largest in the world, approximately a fifth of global GDP at purchasing power parity.[14] The U.S. economy also maintains a very high level of output per capita. In 2009, it was estimated to have a per capita GDP (PPP) of $46,381, the 6th highest in the world. The U.S is the largest trading nation in the world. Its three largest trading partners as of 2010 are Canada, China and Mexico.
Historically, the U.S. economy has maintained a stable overall GDP growth rate, a low unemployment rate, and high levels of research and capital investment funded by both national and, because of decreasing saving rates, increasingly by foreign investors. It has been the world's largest national economy since the 1870s[16][17] and remains the world's largest manufacturer, representing 19% of the world's manufacturing output. In 2009, consumer spending, coupled with government health care spending constituted 70% of the American economy.[18] About 30% of the entire world's millionaire population reside in the United States (in 2009).[19] Furthermore, 34% of the world's billionaires are American (in 2011).[20][21] The US is also home to the world's largest stock exchange, the New York Stock Exchange. It also boasts the world's largest gold reserves and the world's largest gold depository, the New York Federal Reserve Bank. The United States is also home to 139 of the world's 500 largest companies, which is almost twice that of any other country.[22] A large contributor to the country's success has also been a very strong and stable currency. The US dollar holds about 60% of world reserves, as compared to its top competitor, the euro, which controls about 24%.

The United States has not seen a balanced budget since 2001, leading to increasing national debt. Although private banks in the U.S. hold the majority of the country’s debt, over 52% according to MSNBC, the Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve Board estimate that foreign governments hold 4.4 trillion of the country’s $14 trillion debt in Treasury securities. The U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis estimates that Mainland China owns $891.6 billion of the U.S.’s debt. Even Russia owns $106.2 billion.

The United States auctions off treasury securities every three months. This length of time gives the Treasure enough time to figure out how much money it will need to pay off the old debt and cover the cost of increased spending. Buyers have the option to make a competitive bid at the auction, which allows the buyer to ask for a specific rate, or a non-competitive bid, in which the buyer agrees to accept the average rate of other winning bids.

Although this system currently sustains the United States, many economists worry how long the United States can survive on a so-called “IOU” system.

The USA is not alone, most countries have a national debt. In business you need a market to sell your wares or services, it is in your own interest to protect this market. The offering of loans or taking over the debt for a fee helps to protect the market and increases profits. America will not collapse, many projects and goals will be put on hold, and its people will be poorer but the nation will still exist with a still bigger national debt owned by foreigners.

(Figures quoted as from May 26, 2011).

I understand you anger and your concern for the future. I do not see it quite so glum. America is still the most powerful nation on Earth. The US Dollar is still the International Reserve Currancy. I have travelled all over the world and lived in Europe for many years.

My biggest concern is the rising power of the Communist Chinese Megastate. I fear the Islamic Theocratic Dictatorship of Iran will soon have nuclear weapons and will use them. I do not trust religious fundamentalism, neither Christian nor Muslim nor Zionist. I hope intellegent moderation and tolerance can prevail in future societies.

The hope: Thank goodness we have the Internet. Here lies the greatest hope for Mankind. Future genertions will determine how things go. We can only hope that democracy and openmindedness will prevail. I believe people are intellegent enough and can learn fast enough to prevent a total meldown of decency. . . . . . I am optimistic.

2 video's I'd highly recommend if you want more just ask :p.
I feel sorry for the americans, blinded by the governments lies.

The future is not good and the future is not freedom, the future contains a oppressed society under a dictatorship.
Which you can see is already happening.

I'll put my tinfoil hat back on now.

Bring on communism or anarchy the way we are going cannot continue unfortunately people dont realise what is happening with the world, latest problems are things like censoring the internet via government control yeah sure good idea this was thought up by the american government yet again to stop freedom of speech.

All i can say is watch some of those video's.
I dont intend to continue funding a capitalist society the way I am that I don't have faith in.

Like your videos, Cardy.

Reason to be cheerfull: No more News Of The World after Sunday.

gilhooly, you're absolutely right! America cannot, and will not continue in the path we've chosen. As all of the world's previous superpowers have done in the past, we've overstretched our militaristic (our military budget accounts for over 40% of the world's total military spending and is six times the size of Russia's, the second greatest spender) and financial spending (just turn on the news). Through our disillusionment, we have lost sight of everything important and meaningful in life and the world and have turned into an imperialistic state doomed to fail.

The last I really looked into this subject, most academics were looking at either Germany or China as being the next world superpower and for the transition to take place in just a few decades. It could be argued now, though, that China is already a world superpower; according to Forbes magazine, President Hu Jintao is now the most powerful person on the planet.

Two books closely related to the topic that I'd really recommend are Social Stratification and Inequality: Class Conflict in Historical, Comparative, and Global Perspective by Herold Kerbo and Democracy Matters by Cornel West. Both are quite daunting to read, but both are also highly insightful.

the worlds going to end in 2012; but at the hands of zombies (god i hope so, that would be so much fun) and anyone who says it can't happen doesn't know what there taking about. the CDC (center of disease control said there was a 42% chance a zombie outbreak could happen, thats' right 42 fucking % and they're medical researchers and what not. I highly doubt we got any rocket scientist on GS that can dispute this, had they said like 2% I'd be like ok whatever but damn near 50% is a big fucking number, it's like flipping a coin. I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Miles Prower Wrote:Still holding out for a zombie apocalypse. Fingers crossed, fingers crossed...

we can only pray and hope(but i have a .22 rifle, and my dad's 12 guage just in case:biggrin:,oh! and a couple of good knives and machetes :biggrin: