Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far we have come
Reading all the posts I see that many do not remember the past or where they are from there is no gay past only what they see now, know that this fight has been going on in the america's since at least 1880 that I can find, it is not new nor will it go away, but now we can support each other as we can find same, lots of hugs to you all, James
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

James Wrote:Sometimes in the quiet of the night, I believe I can still hear and see my friends who have pasted before me. I watched "as he band played on" the other night and remembered how politics played a big role on who lived and who died, I remember watching scott as he deteriorated and eventually died because the business of blood transfusions was more important than the people who received the transfusions. Sorry this is very emotional for me. How far we have come, yet how far we have to go, James
Sighs so sadCry

Quote:A new Pew poll shows adult Americans evenly split over whether gays and lesbians should be legally allowed to marry -- and there's a clear trend of Americans' views becoming increasingly favorable toward the ssue over the past few years.

That finding comes just weeks after the Obama administration announced it would no longer defend key elements of the Defense of Marriage Act -- the federal law that defines marriage as being between a man and a woman -- in court. And it also shows that Republicans may not have an upper hand in next years' presidential election if they try to thrust social issues to the forefront of the debate.

According to the poll, a slim 46% plurality of Americans say gay marriage should not be legal. However, 45% said it should be legal, and with a 3% margin of error in the poll, that places the results into a statistical tie.

Further, the latest findings further a clear trend of Americans becoming more and more receptive to the idea of gay marriage.

In 2009, Pew found that 54% of Americans opposed gay marriage, while only 37% were in favor of allowing gays and lesbians to legally marry. One year later, that split shrank to 48% opposed, and 42% in favor. If the trend holds, it might not be long before public opinion on the issue flips and more people support rather than oppose gay marriage.
Pew Poll: Americans Now Evenly Split On Legalizing Gay Marriage | TPMDC

As good as that is, we still have people like Newt Gingrich trying to court the Religious Right ahead of upoming elections:
Gingrich Using Gay Rights to Capture Religious Right | News | The Advocate

And then there's this:
Quote:House speaker John Boehner announced Friday that Congress will defend the Defense of Marriage Act, saying he believes the Obama administration overstepped its bounds by refusing to defend the law in court.

Boehner released the following statement Friday: “I will convene a meeting of the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group for the purpose of initiating action by the House to defend this law of the United States, which was enacted by a bipartisan vote in Congress and signed by President Bill Clinton. It is regrettable that the Obama Administration has opened this divisive issue at a time when Americans want their leaders to focus on jobs and the challenges facing our economy. The constitutionality of this law should be determined by the courts — not by the president unilaterally — and this action by the House will ensure the matter is addressed in a manner consistent with our Constitution.”
Boehner: House Will Defend DOMA | News | The Advocate

And others but overall we have come an extremely long way to what we thought was possible. I am out in the fifty's when let us put them to death still ruled, so I still saywe have come a long way but have much to do still, James

James Wrote:And others but overall we have come an extremely long way to what we thought was possible. I am out in the fifty's when let us put them to death still ruled, so I still say we have come a long way but have much to do still, James
yes we do and life is just tough and hard and the only way we would all get along in this world is if we all change ourselves.

I must revist this thread and still I am in awe, the young people who killed themselves from bullying and cyber pounceing there is some justice, the young man who taped his roommates sexual incounter causeing him to go suicidial is up for second dergree manslaughter seems like maybe its turning around

That videotape of the transexual woman being assaulted was so disturbing to watch. At first, most people I've read put comments regarding the racial aspect of it, but then finding out that the girl was trying to go to the restroom and used the female room, and got beaten, that was so disturbing.

Unfortunately, I don't think that any changes will be made that can be so significant.

This is quite encouraging for me as I am just in the beginning of my coming out... Thanks for the post. I am excited to see what the next decade will bring!

marcopolo1085 Wrote:This is quite encouraging for me as I am just in the beginning of my coming out... Thanks for the post. I am excited to see what the next decade will bring!
Hold on because it's going to bean incridible ride, with courag campaign, lamda legal, aclu, glbtq centers, and folks who have had enough, 10 years I would say 5 years much will change, welcome aboard, James