Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How good is your spelling? Quiz
Most commonly misspelt words: Can you pass the tricky quiz?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/201...z/?ref=yfp
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Contrary to popular Belief; We in the West Indies actually have ridiculously high Literacy Standard, due to the fact that we speak so damn bad(according to Standard English);

So I got a measly 12/15 = A+ ("I'm Good at Spelling")

Mind you!

This test seems more European English centered, because there were only options for Common European English spellings of some of these words; So an American or Non-European taking it would be at an immediate disadvantage.

Thankfully(or not, it truthfully depends);

Colonial Rule left our islands with the British Spelling system, but we have also incorporated American and our own system of Spelling.

That being said; This test is inherently rigged! Cat3 lol

I can spell well in all the languages that I know; But Regional standards will always put non-standard speakers at a disadvantage if not of that region.

14 / 15. I said 'supercede' rather than 'supersede'. I thought supersede looked more right than supercede when I saw the two together but I would have always spelt it 'supercede' in the past so I was about 80% sure that that was right.

I have bad handwriting so it probably doesn't matter too much if I misspell something when I am writing by hand. On a computer, spell check helps me. I don't really have any problems with spelling but I think I'm a better speller when I don't have to think about it too much. E.g. I was really unsure about occurrence. When I typed that word there now, I had no problem with it but, in that quiz, I was kind of confused.

14/15
Thought supersede was spelt with a 'c' as well.

13/15

I had the same mistake twice: Occurence instead of ocurrence and refered instead of referred

Who knew a Spanish speaker would overlook THOSE? I mean....we live for strong "R"s Rofl
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

15 out of 15.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

15 out of 15 here. Of the three main core subjects at school, English was my better one.

13/15... I dont know what "supersede" or "phlegm" are Big Grin i just quessed them... Incorrectly.. I understand english much better than i write... Supersede is a familiar word but cant remember and that word p***** is a "never heard"...

mrex Wrote:13/15... I dont know what "supersede" or "phlegm" are Big Grin i just quessed them... Incorrectly.. I understand english much better than i write... Supersede is a familiar word but cant remember and that word p***** is a "never heard"...

"Supersede" is to replace something that is better than the original. So (controversially to some maybe), "Windows 10 supercedes Windows 8".

Phlegm is the horrid stuff you cough up when you have a bad cold.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:"Supersede" is to replace something that is better than the original. So (controversially to some maybe), "Windows 10 supercedes Windows 8".

Phlegm is the horrid stuff you cough up when you have a bad cold.

"Sede" from the Latin seat, "super" = over, to take over someone's seat...