Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How has marriage changed life for gay people?
I thought that this might be of interest to some:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36168415
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

well im sure its opened up a new market for divorce lawyers lol - and that's without opening the link

matty7 Wrote:well im sure its opened up a new market for divorce lawyers lol - and that's without opening the link

Matty, you're so cynical!
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

matty7 Wrote:well im sure its opened up a new market for divorce lawyers lol - and that's without opening the link

I opened the link and yes, 3 lesbian couple to every 1 gay male couple get divorced..

LONDONER Wrote:Matty, you're so cynical!

the strange thing is im not lol , im kind of a positive person for the most part - but I can spot vultures a mile off

Boaxy Wrote:I honestly don't see why people get so worked up over gay marriage, just to divorce.

You would think that gay divorce shouldn't be that high or frequent.

Not that I disagree, but to me it's more about acceptance of us and awareness that we're out there and that it's ok, less about holy matrimony.

Cuddly Wrote:Not that I disagree, but to me it's more about acceptance of us and awareness that we're out there and that it's ok, less about holy matrimony.

Tho realistically; with or without the acceptance and acknowledgement of whomever, we'd still none the less be "out there".

It's not like this sudden "acknowledgement of Gays wanting to marry", makes the fact that we've always existed and will continue to exist, any less of a reality.

I feel like some gays just want to be acknowledged by others, rather than contenting themselves with their own acceptance and sense of self.

Not always is acceptance and awareness a good thing, cause it could also lead to negative things as well hun, both from others and unto ourselves. Butter

Then again, I've never really myself found marriage appealing for any reason.

It's cute for other peeps, but not for me Jigga

For me, it's about the legal realities. If American laws and practices weren't so obnoxious, I'd care less about it.

Though that said, unless they can definitely prove harm comes by it (not just offending someone) then there should be no prohibition between what individuals choose for themselves. That's the whole point of being a free country, as opposed "freedom for me, oppression for thee" that many want it to be. In any case, I'm not impressed when someone says it should be illegal because their religion that condones slavery and child abuse says it should be.

For that matter, plenty who want gay marriage banned on religious grounds should also be against divorce. Granted, at least a few are, but there are way too many Kim Davises out there who pick and choose what fits their bigotry and ignores that which is inconvenient, even if the Bible verse they ignore is right next to the one they cite so passionately.

Of course, even the American public would refuse to vote to amend constitutions or change laws to prevent the divorces that Jesus forbade, because that could affect them (I also believe this is a big reason why they've had such a hard time getting public support for banning abortion). But they can still feel self-righteous without inconveniencing themselves to ban marriage to a minority, even if many of those same people will give speeches about how we live in a republic, not a democracy, and therefore the majority can't vote away their rights or money (at least when it's convenient to spout that, but shift gears when it's no longer convenient).

isn't that like when jane lynch of glee got divorced?