Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How materialistic are you?
reilly Wrote:98% of people are not wealthy.

Not sure how many people would agree that the rich are only 2% of people, it makes it difficult to tax them.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Not sure how many people would agree that the rich are only 2% of people, it makes it difficult to tax them.

well, it is true that a there is a rather large disparity in wealth btw what is considered lower lower class/upper middle class and the upper upper class. HOWEVER (being the stastic lover that I am), I did a bit of research on this subjuect back in college and was suprised to learn that (per capita) if you own an airconditioner, a tv, and refridgerator then you are in the top 10% of the wealthiest people in the world.
That said, since I moved back to the US, I discovered that the people here are much more likely to be attracted to men who have visible wealth/status posessions than the people I met in the other countries where I have lived. What lead me to post this thread was a date I went on recently where the guy said that he really liked me but that he didnt think we should date because he didnt like my economy car. Then he asked if we could still fuk.

What lead me to post this thread was a date I went on recently where the guy said that he really liked me but that he didnt think we should date because he didnt like my economy car. Then he asked if we could still fuk.

OMG...that reminds me of why I finally quit bartending...It was a great job IMO and I made decent money but in the mid 90s I noticed the questions I got changed from what I knew about the guy sexually to what I knew about the guy financially and specifically what kind of car they drove. These new questions made my skin crawl and I had to hide my disgust because I was getting paid to make everyone feel welcome and I understood that perfectly.

I knew I didn't belong there anymore...most of my generation had died of AIDS and this new obsession with someone's financial portfolio and car was a major turn off for me...I wasn't interested in getting to know the new arrivals. Everything has a time and a season and I knew it was time for me to go:biggrin:

Well, I've had two boyfriends. First was a gym instructor, but being gay, he spent money on nice clothes. So he lived a comfortable, modest life. Second and current boyfriend is loaded beyond belief.. very very successful entrepreneur.

Dating a rich guy sucks... I struggle trying to get past his tunnelvision for money. Sometimes I feel like just another "thing" in his life. I wish he had about 10% of his current wealth.. (he'd still be loaded). But he'd have more free time (for me Big Grin). And no i am not showered with gifts or anything, not in the least! and I don't want it to be that way. I just want a boyfriend who gives me all those things money can't buy. Smile

I painted my car myself and am sorry for it-I want a Porsce

i know im not materialistic, they just need to appriciate the little details in life. like the craftsmanship put into a glass that he's drinking wine in, or the amount of effort used to design his sneakers. and he has to be wise enough to know that if he dies, none of his belonging are coming with him.

I like nice things--I feel so shallow. :biggrin:

Seriously, new is not always better. And, to me it's not what a person has but how that person cares for what he does have. Compassion, gratitude, and simplicity impress me more.

Personally, I'm sentimental about things. I prefer something with a history or tale than shiny and fancy.

I have no fashion sense, so I could never judge someone's clothes unless they wore REALLY bright colors and stripes that would make my eyes crazy, then I'd have buy him solid dark colors. :p

Porsche, if u mean the car, so how important is the elements of life, food, housing, clothes, then everything else. Am running the edges myself, but wellnot let my young man fall to the minimum that is among us, james
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

East Wrote:....but in the mid 90s I noticed the questions I got changed from what I knew about the guy sexually to what I knew about the guy financially and specifically what kind of car they drove. These new questions made my skin crawl...

Why is what a guy is or is not into in one area of life perfectly acceptable to enquire about and to determine whether or not to make a move, but not in another area of life?
Fred

SrChulo Wrote:I just want a boyfriend who gives me all those things money can't buy. Smile

Very wise words.
Fred