Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How often do you train?
fjp999 Wrote:It begs the question where some of these numbers come from... and if most even know what they put into their bodies... It seems that they change the blood pressure numbers about every decade - to make more profits for big pharma??? new data??? Sometimes the "practice" of science/medicine is not so clear Bunny2

These numbers are a question of where 'health' ends and 'ill-health' begins, which is a question of medicine (an art) not science.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:These numbers are a question of where 'health' ends and 'ill-health' begins, which is a question of medicine (an art) not science.

I am often confused by all this... many of the top docs I meet (the gurus) tend to spread their message as scientist but most docs who have a desire to see me as a whole rather than a number attempt to practice an art using science Disoriented

Gosh, I'm such a Pisces Rolleyes
I don't train at all, and I'm soooooooooooo thin :mad:
My laziness will kill me, sooner or later.

BMI is a tricky figure when tracking healthy mass. Its pretty good for people who are trying to loose excess body fat due to obesity however, once you start to train either in endurance or mass building sports then the BMI figure gets skewed. A mate of mine who is a comitted gym fanatic has built up his muscle mass, dropped his body fat percentage but, on a BMI scale would appear "obese". Conversely, another mate is a long distance runner and is probably one of the most aerobically fit people I know, however, using the BMI scale again, he would appear dangerously underweight.

I suppose what Im saying is measurements should be used as a guide, but taken in context. As Timber points out, overalll bodyfat percentage is a better indicator of the ammount of fat carried rather than BMI.

Also, as fjp999 says, the numbers change regularly, which can be confusing, but they dont change by much and, taken in the round, you can sketch out a healthy framework for your stats to fall into.