Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How sad I am.
After reading on here about GT magazine I thought I would seek it out. I found it in town but did not have the guts to buy it, it seems I am ashamed of revealling the true me even to straight strangers I will never see again like fellow shoppers and shop assistants, how sad is that? When I got back home I subscribed on-line to the mag. Is there any hope for me?

I lot more people are in worse situations than that on a daily basis, wouldn't worry about it.

There's always hope. Wink

Maybe I should hope for some commission ... Rolleyes

selkieboy Wrote:Is there any hope for me?

Yes. I was once (not that long ago) in that position, I managed to get through it. I now openly have a boyfriend. So yes there is certainly hope for you. However on a more practical level, as you say you were unlikely to meet these people ever again, were you scared of what they thought of you or what you thought of you?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

It is fear of what others think of me not what I think of myself that is the problem. I am what I am and I accept that without personal shame. I just find it embarrassing when others condemn me.

I suppose at least I have the balls to go to a GUM clinic for regular check ups even though on one visit I was asked when was the last time I had sex and I was perhaps a little hesitant and the Doctor blurted out I suppose you lot are always at, it or something like that. It was the sort of reaction that makes me retreat into my shell and feel like an outcast. It was also the tone of disgust in the voice.

I would however add that was only an isolated incident and other visits they have been very pleasant with me.

selkieboy Wrote:...I suppose at least I have the balls to go to a GUM clinic for regular check ups even though on one visit I was asked when was the last time I had sex and I was perhaps a little hesitant and the Doctor blurted out I suppose you lot are always at, it or something like that. It was the sort of reaction that makes me retreat into my shell and feel like an outcast. It was also the tone of disgust in the voice.

I would however add that was only an isolated incident and other visits they have been very pleasant with me.
It could be that was the doctor's attempt at humour. I would imagine that the realities of working in a stressed health service encourage staff to see the world in a way different from the rest of us. Still, it was not appropriate to do anything that could discourage you from using the service.

I find it helps having a few gay friends ... and the love of my dear Albert, of course Confusedmile:

Your boyfriend loves you dearly, dear Sweet Marshlander.... Herz Herz Herz

Oh you guys ave so cuteBighug

marshlander Wrote:It could be that was the doctor's attempt at humour. I would imagine that the realities of working in a stressed health service encourage staff to see the world in a way different from the rest of us. Still, it was not appropriate to do anything that could discourage you from using the service.

I find it helps having a few gay friends ... and the love of my dear Albert, of course Confusedmile:

Unfortunately there was no doubt that it was not an attempt at humour. The entire interview was extremeely uncomfortable and I was left in no doubt about her feelings towards gay people. It did in fact put me off going for a check up for 2 years and when I did finally go again I had picked up an infection which would have been dealt with earlier but for her.

The doctors and nurses at the clinic now are great completely unjudgemental and really pleasant and helpful and I do not feel uncomfortable answering their most personal questions.

selkieboy Wrote:... The doctors and nurses at the clinic now are great completely unjudgemental and really pleasant and helpful and I do not feel uncomfortable answering their most personal questions.
Which is, of course, just how it should be. The GUM clinic at our local hospital has some lovely staff, particularly the nurses. I found the doctor less lovely, but that is partly because English is not his first language and he was a bit difficult to understand. I don't like having to ask people to repeat what they said :redface: