Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How should you refer to your partner?
It's a dilemma for many if you're married and this article just adds to the confusion.

https://debuk.wordpress.com/2015/05/30/t...-her-wife/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I bounce between boyfriend, partner and "my dude" depending on who is asking

I'd say my boyfriend or my husband if we got married.

Introduction: "This is Gideon. He's mine."

In conversation I usually refer to him as my partner.

I was using the term "my lover" as I used it for years...and once upon a time...all gay men used it...but I realized some time ago that the term is ancient now and maybe the people I say it to don't know what I am talking about....

I also used the term "My husband" until gay marriage came along...and now it is a literal term...so I stopped saying that too....

UGH....

Now...I use my BF...or my man...neither feels comfortable for me...

...well...we call each other "Kevin" and "Alex"...given that we live together, spend the bulk of our time together, and that he usually has his hand tucked into my back pocket...anyone who can't figure it out is just not paying attention...

"Fuck chum".

Lex

OMG, that article, while thorough, really over thought the issue in regard to how the term husband or wife is applied in this era.

I refer to Mark as my partner. As soon as it is legal in this backward USA, specifically in Michigan, and I can legally marry my partner of thirty+ years, I will introduce him as my husband. Regardless of the etymology of the words, in current times the terms will be easily understood. It will be the truth and my civil right. Admittedly saying the word husband will be usual for me as I had never thought gay civil rights would arrive at this juncture. But make no mistake, Mark will be my husband when that time comes.

Cheerleader2

Lexington Wrote:"Fuck chum".

Lex

Don't knock chum until you've tried it.

Pyromancer Wrote:...well...we call each other "Kevin" and "Alex"...given that we live together, spend the bulk of our time together, and that he usually has his hand tucked into my back pocket...anyone who can't figure it out is just not paying attention...
Excellent response. There's nothing ambiguous in that gesture and its essentially non-confrontational. Not that idiots and fools won't spew hate, but I think the passage of time will fix that: Some people just need time to get comfortable with the idea. Then again, some people will just stumble through life being idiots and fools. You can lead a horse to water...

Lexington Wrote:"Fuck chum".
Lex
RoflRoflRofl
Love it.