Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Respond?
Decided to eit this all down, sorry for letting my frustrations get to me. If anyone reads this late, the gist of it was that in a gay marriage debate thread, this one woman, who leans left in many issues, kept on going on about single rights. How gays will get rights for things like signing over a pension to someone before singles ever do (ummm... pretty sure we won't, except those few states that have allowed gay marriage and even then it will just be those that are married). I tried to make points about how gay marriage is symbol of overall equality; she dismissed it. She rudely suggests I'm being chauvinistic and wrong to focus on so much gay stuff. I try to point out that I've contributed TONS to that board not dealing with gay issues and even if I have done a lot with gay issues too, it's what's in the news from DADT to the UN to Uganda and Hong Kong to bullies to now NY passing gay marriage. She rejects my claims and says the only thing that should be of concern to anyone right now is the economy. I try to get personal and tell her about the discrimination and prejudice I've faced, and she again is rude. And really, I just don't know how to deal with someone like that ... I'd have been find if she'd started a new thread but to come intoa gay marriage thread and accuse us of focusing on the wrong things, it just really hit a nerve. ( tvbb.zap2it.com if anyone really wants to go read it all but you have to be registered to see debates). Anyway feeling better now and I guess I'm just going to ignore her and try to do better of ignoring others like her that I know put words in mouths and such.

And that's it and props to anyone who actually reads it. I really don't have the time or energy for this right now and just don't know how to counter. Be it pleading reason or pleading emotion, nothing seems to get through. And I'm sorry but she is definitely BITTER, even if she claims not to be.

jbrowder24 Wrote:And that's it and props to anyone who actually reads it. I really don't have the time or energy for this right now and just don't know how to counter. Be it pleading reason or pleading emotion, nothing seems to get through. And I'm sorry but she is definitely BITTER, even if she claims not to be.

Do what i usually do when i can't get through to a mentalist,call her every name you think you can get away with, then never return to the thread.

What are you trying to convince her of?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Hey Josh, I did actually read all of the unedited version earlier on today but I didn't have any real advice I felt I could offer; Protracted debating is not in my skill set and I would have lost patience with her way before now :biggrin:

I think sometimes, when you reach an impasse, its best just to agree to disagree Bighug

Josh,
I practice ignoring people all the time. I have found that I can disagree and not even voice my opinion if I know it's gonna turn ugly anyway. Opinions are like a s s h o l e s, everyone has one so don't take it personally, especially when they DO mean it personally. Some people take great pleasure in p i s s i n g others off. Ignore them. LOL!!

Like my ex-roommate once told me, "They don't even exist in my world" LOL!!

No one can fight every battle. We choose the causes to which we think we can best contribute and do our best. The singles will be the winners if she gets her way by convincing the right people. As it happens they already have a choice whether to marry and make a public declaration of commitment. All you are asking for is the same.