Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to de-ice your windscreen
No more scraping, just spray

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

just buy a bottle of spray de-icer ? less messing about..... I had to use mine this morning finishing a night shift

Hmm, ok methinks these anti-freeze synthetic peptides some people are producing here have found a nice market Smile

Gotta talk to people about this hahaha
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Here in my country we use the good old hair-dryer. Or an air-heater - 7200 Watts always do the job. Smile
Arch Linux, Core i7 4770, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 32GB DDR3 RAM
home is where root is.

rado84 Wrote:Here in my country we use the good old hair-dryer. Or an air-heater - 7200 Watts always do the job. Smile

Is there no chance of cracking your windscreen doing that? I mean, extreme cold and heat on glass don't usually go together.

My husbear bought me spray de-icer a few winters ago. The results were less than satisfying. . .

If you do it only on one side, it will probably crack. That's why the powerful tool is on the outside and the low power tool (hair-dryer) and the car's air-conditioning are on the inside. And of course you don't use full power of the air-heater but just enough to quickly warm up the windshield.
I don't have a car but my friends explained this to me some time ago.
Arch Linux, Core i7 4770, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 32GB DDR3 RAM
home is where root is.

rado84 Wrote:If you do it only on one side, it will probably crack. That's why the powerful tool is on the outside and the low power tool (hair-dryer) and the car's air-conditioning are on the inside. And of course you don't use full power of the air-heater but just enough to quickly warm up the windshield.
I don't have a car but my friends explained this to me some time ago.

Still sounds risky. A new windscreen would be expensive. I'd stick to a de-icer spray. Fortunately I don't need one since it never gets that cold where I live.

Bah, cover the hood and just throw salt at the damn thing, then. :biggrin:
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Having a V8 makes a difference... When I had the Prius it would take forever for it to defrost.... The Challenger takes maybe 2-3 minutes for it to start blowing warm air... of course takes 30 seconds to scrape...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!