Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to interpret Australian slang
Those of us who are not Antipodean can become very confused when confronted with Australian slang. The first time I came across it was when an Australian friend asked me if I had any Durex. Durex for a Brit is a make of condoms. For an Austarlian it is sticky tape. Anyway, here's an article that might save some embarassment if you ever find yourself "Down Under".

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27888329
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

From dating a guy from Brisbane for 5 yrs..... (who's originally from Gibraltar)......... I can tell you as funny as your link is, it barely scratches the surface of their lingo. When he's in the US I use simple sign language when he's talking to people to remind him he's above the equator. I hold my hands palm up and slowly raise them.
"come around midday and we'll for cuts and sangers" ---- a lunch invitation for sandwiches
"his neff caught us snoggin' " --- explaining my nephew caught us kissing
"S'been yonks, mate!" ------- it's been while, buddy

He and went to Gib in 2012. Their lingo is the most hilarious I've ever heard in my life but I can't find anything on the internet about it.

Been 9 years with an Aussie dude, second years of marriage happening this week... I still don't understand half of his lingo.

Jake Wrote:Been 9 years with an Aussie dude, second years of marriage happening this week... I still don't understand half of his lingo.

Yeh. same here about understanding them.....
BUT they sure are cute to listen to when they get emotional....
I can listen to a 10 minute rant and barely keep from laughing and then when he stops, say,
"I'm sorry, I undertand."
and then he's back to mister cheerful.

memechose Wrote:From dating a guy from Brisbane for 5 yrs..... (who's originally from Gibraltar)......... I can tell you as funny as your link is, it barely scratches the surface of their lingo.

It was never intended to be a definitive list.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

' We're taking the eskie and the barbie to the footie. '

You have ten minutes. At the end of ten minutes put down your pens and pencils and hand it up to the front.

Some of their slang is the same as what we use here, but some of it is completely their own!

What is the role of "cunt" in Aussie slang?

I read here that it's not meant to be offensive:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cunt

Quote:The word cunt is only insulting to Americans and over zealous feminists who don't realise its beauty.

It has almost replaced the word 'mate', often used in Australia to refer to people in a conversation when they can't be bothered trying to remember your name.

Sick Aussie Cunt: Sup cunt?
American feminist: I find that insulting
Sick Aussie Cunt: Piss off

Sick Aussie Cunt 1: Sup cunt?
Sick Aussie Cunt 2: Nothing much, cunt.

And yet some Aussies on the net seem to be using it a term of contempt or derision for others.