Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to stop a dog chewing?? Any advice
yeah mate you need a dog trainer,not for the dog but you as chewing is not unreasonable thing for a dog to be doing,if you really think the dog understands why sometimes you tell it off the moment you walk in and sometimes you praise it,it knows the reason is because it was chewing something earlier! it's just reacting to the sound of your voice,nothing more,next time try telling it off when it hasn't chewed anything I bet it still does the same hiding thing,which is not a good thing to do with a dog you have said may be nervous anyway,I still think its down to boredom,I take it is alone in the house all day if it keeps getting all this stuff to chew,not good for a young dog,if I was in the house all day I would be bored too,haven't you got a friend or relative ou can leave the dog with when you are not in.

zeon Wrote:I know when i come home from work if i say in a lowered tone

Connor whats this and point he will go hide under my computer chair with tail between the legs.. I never shout at my dog otherwise ill not only have a nervous wreck of a dog for the night but ill be cleaning up wee as well... I dont understand why his so nervous because he was born and kept out of the litter because he was un sellable as no one wanted him due to a deformed ear but his still my little dumpling... His very loyal to me for example when it comes to bed time he will lift the cover with his nose go under turn around pop his head out facing me have a deep sigh and then give me a lick on the lips as though to say goodnight dad and all night he will lie facing me.. He never sleep with me ex.. I know he has potential and I am wondering whether because his mother was bought of what i didnt realise was a puppy farm and shes a wreck whether she has passed on a bad vibe to him... This circle i am trying to break..
Sometimes i come home from work and they have chewed nothing destroyed nothing and I give loads and loads of big hugs and kisses and reward them with a plate full of fish and meats and treats.. I know six months ago we moved and i am also wondering whether this is taking a toll from stress of moving and this is why they are being like they are...

hm .... you should show your Dog that YOU are the Alpha-Dog.... that is very important in the first time. He must see that you are a cool, relaxed Dog .... nothing can take you out of your peace. You are his protector.... show him that you are his Protector. A dog is the mirror of his owner .... if you are nervous.... your dog becomes restless and nervous, too. Let him never take the leadership..... what looks like a game is a hard battle for the leadership. Never allow things you don´t want...and never allow things you have forbidden before....
Food is another point ... give him Dogfood .. never YOUR Food ... he is the Beta-Dog.... You are the Alpha-Dog .... it is your right to get better things ( like wildlife ). Give him only things which are for dogs.... so he know whats his. If he did something good give him a dogcookie .... did he something very good give him a dog-chocolate...
If you say "sit down" he has to sit down without any question... If he is on his leash and you say "sit down" only go further after he has done what you want ... Stop the command "sit down" with a clear "go"
Don´t let him lick your face....
If you are very consistent... you will see your dog will react very positive....

Teach him to react on hand gestures.... that is great if he barks or whatever. A hand gesture never change... a voice can change.

With my 3 I can see what happens if someone let the dogs take the leadership... I only have to growl a bit.. and all three are the best dogs of the world.... if my man walk alone with the dogs he comes home ..dirty... grumpy and with " these shit dogs don´t do what I want "

fenris Wrote:hm .... you should show your Dog that YOU are the Alpha-Dog.... that is very important in the first time. He must see that you are a cool, relaxed Dog .... nothing can take you out of your peace. You are his protector.... show him that you are his Protector. A dog is the mirror of his owner .... if you are nervous.... your dog becomes restless and nervous, too. Let him never take the leadership..... what looks like a game is a hard battle for the leadership. Never allow things you don´t want...and never allow things you have forbidden before....
Food is another point ... give him Dogfood .. never YOUR Food ... he is the Beta-Dog.... You are the Alpha-Dog .... it is your right to get better things ( like wildlife ). Give him only things which are for dogs.... so he know whats his. If he did something good give him a dogcookie .... did he something very good give him a dog-chocolate...
If you say "sit down" he has to sit down without any question... If he is on his leash and you say "sit down" only go further after he has done what you want ... Stop the command "sit down" with a clear "go"
Don´t let him lick your face....
If you are very consistent... you will see your dog will react very positive....

Teach him to react on hand gestures.... that is great if he barks or whatever. A hand gesture never change... a voice can change.

With my 3 I can see what happens if someone let the dogs take the leadership... I only have to growl a bit.. and all three are the best dogs of the world.... if my man walk alone with the dogs he comes home ..dirty... grumpy and with " these shit dogs don´t do what I want "

Hi Fenris,
My dog has alot of potential in him and I think I may have been mis guiding him a little.. I know when i was younger like 6 or 7 my step dad was very cruel to the family dog for example if the dog made a mess being a raving alcoholic he would rub the dogs nose in it and that really upset me and i made a promise to myself id never treat a dog that way.. I know one fact that if you abuse a dog it will still stay at your side no matter what and I sort of treat him as though he is my family..
My ex said to me that when we have beds in our flat the dogs are not sleeping in them but that is something I find hard to accept because ive always had them sleeping on my bed ever since I was a little lad as ive grown up round dogs... I know i need to be more self disciplined when it comes to lead work but its doing the training without making a twat of yourself infront of joe public stopping every five minutes or seeing the dog going the wrong way around a post and then you telling the dog to walk round the right way and it looking as if to say are we going or what without acknowledging a 60ft lampost between you and the dog lol...
I have always rewarded him when his good and at times given my food to the animal as a "treat" because its getting close to expiry date and i dont want to waste it knowing the fact that I will end up throwing it away as i wont eat it... All I want out of my two dogs is loyal companions who understand that their "dad" loves em loads and will protect them and be the voice they need to be heard in anything... I am working on the fetch manover at the moment with them as they go get the ball and run to the other end of the park and drop it there and then run off which does my head in as I have to go get it.. I did try to teach them the value of an object by leaving it there and it got taken when i went back lol but they didnt learn (luckily toys R us do 40 tennis balls for £5). I have never used sentences in commands just short sharp words like come, sit, stay, move, I know when i say fuck off in any tone they do that command immediately.... Not sure why lol must be the vibe thing...

One thing I want to work on with the mother is to make her more friendly to other dogs as id love to let her off the lead when other dogs are around knowing that she wont go and attack one like she did once and leaving me with a £80 vet bill that i paid as i was in the wrong and the other owner could have got funny and demanded that she be put to sleep as his dog was on a lead.. This stems from her time on a puppy farm where the other dogs i beleive bullied her along with the owners children hence her not being so friendly with children under 10 either.... Both my dogs are genuinely loving dogs but get very protective of me and I want them to understand i appreciate the loyalty but they do need to allow me to defend myself..

Kindest regards

zeon x