Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to teach British people to speak English 2
fredv3b Wrote:Matty,

What about folk from Glasgae?

Wha's like us? Damn few an they're a deid!

Genersis Wrote:I can't be thankfull enough for the fact i avoided aquiring the "New london" accent that 80% of the people my age seem too speak with in my area. It sounds...terrible in my opinion.:redface:

Is that where they say thinks like "ahks" instead of "ask"? I arrived at a hotel about a year ago and the guy in front asked an out of the ordinary question and the receptionist said "I'll just go an ahks the manager"

Bleurgh!

So, anyway, I don't think I have a very strong accent. But people have quickly realised I'm Scottish (the term "scotch" is reserved for food and drinks - other uses can be regarded as "impolite") so it must be strong enough.

My other half is quite funny, when he's on the phone to his relatives his accent gets much stronger. It's very nice to hear.

colinmackay Wrote:So, anyway, I don't think I have a very strong accent. But people have quickly realised I'm Scottish (the term "scotch" is reserved for food and drinks - other uses can be regarded as "impolite") so it must be strong enough.

My other half is quite funny, when he's on the phone to his relatives his accent gets much stronger. It's very nice to hear.

I was going to point that out about scotch but wasn't 100%.

simon Wrote:good choice me bonny lad,us geordies are the best!

Simon you are the best send some more of those please.
Any idea what Dame Maggie is saying at 2:20 in this video. The part about the horses hooves was all I got

yeah she said "it isn't only the hurdling and the hopping over the high hedges what hurts the horse's hooves it's the hammer hammer on the hard iron road.

divvent knaa hinny if that's reet but I've heed some broon the neet at hyem.

simon Wrote:yeah she said "it isn't only the hurdling and the hopping over the high hedges what hurts the horse's hooves it's the hammer hammer on the hard iron road.

divvent knaa hinny if that's reet but I've heed some broon the neet at hyem.

OMG! That is so difficult for me to say but I am sure that in time with practise I will
master it. English Dialects are just amazing as are the rest from the United Kingdom
but oh! so very interesting.

"Americans love me and will go on loving me until I have something nice to say about them"
-George Bernard Shaw