Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huckabee compares gay marriage to bestiality
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/mikehuckabee.jpg[/img2]Mike Huckabee, one of the leading contenders for the Republican party nomination for President of the United States, has said he wants to change the country's Constitution to ban abortion and compared gay relationships to "a man and an animal."

In an interview with an online religious magazine Huckabee, a former Baptist preacher, said that he wants to ban abortion and "affirm" marriage.

"I don't think that's a radical view, to say we're going to affirm marriage," he said.

"I think the radical view is to say that we're going to change the definition of marriage so that it can mean two men, two women, a man and three women, a man and a child, a man and animal."

Huckabee, the former Governor of Arkansas, is neck and neck with Senator John McCain in Saturday's key primary race in South Carolina.

Mason-Dixon Polling & Research puts Huckabee on 25% and McCain on 27%.

However, in national polls Huckabee trails both McCain and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney.

In his Beliefnet interview he said he would ban abortion outright and alter the US Constitution to reflect his view that life begins at conception.

"The Bible was not written to be amended. The Constitution was," he said.

He rejected letting states decide for themselves on the issue.

"That's the logic of the Civil War, that slavery could be okay in Georgia but not okay in Massachusetts.

"Obviously we'd today say, 'Well, that's nonsense. Slavery is wrong, period. It can't be right somewhere and wrong somewhere else.' Same with abortion."

Since winning the Iowa primary earlier this month, the evangelical Christian has become a serious contender for the White House.

He has refused to distance himself from comments he made as a candidate for the US Senate in 1992 about people infected with HIV.

Huckabee answered questions submitted to him by The Associated Press, one of which read:

"It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS.

"It is the first time in the history of civilisation in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents."

Huckabee is also on record as saying that gay people choose their behaviour.

"People who are gay say that they're born that way," he said in a TV interview in December.

"But one thing I know, that the behaviour one practices is a choice.

"We may have certain tendencies, but how we behave and how we carry out our behaviour."

Earlier this month an American organisation that works to expose the tactics of "ex-gay" groups has raised concerns Huckabee has links with known extremist groups.

TruthWinsOut questioned his links with the Christian Reconstructionist movement, which believes the Bible justifies stoning adulterers and homosexuals.

TWO's executive director Wayne Besen said:

"Huckabee should explain why he is freely associating with known extremists and how this squares with his professed sunny and optimistic vision for America.

"Furthermore, his comparison of homosexuality to pedophilia and necrophilia is as ignorant as it is offensive.

"Mike Huckabee is beginning to show his true colours, and they are quite dark and intolerant."

In Huckabee's 1998 book, Kids Who Kill, he wrote:

"It is now difficult to keep track of the vast array of publicly endorsed and institutionally supported aberrations, from homosexuality and pedophilia to sadomasochism and necrophilia."

Kids Who Kill was co-written by George Grant, a known Reconstructionist, who has also written fanatical books such as, The Changing of the Guard: Biblical Principles for Political Action.

The Cato Institute also reported that Huckabee held a fundraiser at the Houston home of Dr Steven Hotze, another leader of the radical and dangerous Reconstructionist movement.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

As Marshlander said to me earlier on, where do they find these people???
(scary thoughts) PA

The insidious aspect of views like Mr Huckabee is that the fanatical, evil stuff is often coated with statements that, in certain situations, might sound half-reasonable. There also seems to be a large constituency out there too willing to swashbuckle (is that actually a verb?) with a cross. Note the pervasive military jargon associated with religious missionary work. For a country where there is no established faith (as in the UK where the monarch is the head of the church) and where the mixing of religion and state is supposed to be illegal there is an extraordinary amount of religious rhetoric at the hustings. The so-called virtue of blind obedience, as demanded by a number of religions, to the whims of a fantastical "higher being" are nothing more than an abusive exercise in power. That he comes from a Baptist tradition, whatever that turns out to be (sadly the only Baptist I think I knew was a friend at college who later committed suicide), seems to confer immunity from prosecution and the authority to continue to spread lies and hatred (presumably in the name of a "loving" god ... Newspeak, anyone?) albeit often under the guise of doing "good works".

People like Mr Huckabee should be allowed to express their point of view, but the points he raises should be examined rigorously (as should those of any political wannabe) and denounced vigorously when they prove to be wrong or discriminatory. The trouble with religious and political rhetoric is that if something is repeated often enough it becomes axiomatic and people stop questioning.

Personally, I don't have a problem with his view that, for instance, we choose how we behave. However, whatever our choices we should be prepared to accept the consequences that follow. It's at that point that I would want to examine very closely some of his ideas about enforcing a particular view of morality. That's an example of a kernal of prejudice sugar-coated with a little wisdom.

I'm not completely impartial on this subject. I've spent much of the last thirty years dealing with having been brought up in a Mormon family. Don't get me started on Mitt Romney!

Regards

I will never understand how people like this Huckabee character can profess to represent and uphold a really outstanding set of morals with one hand, and point his finger at those people he damns outright with the other hand.

Surely an enlightened view is to understand rather than to curse ?

Thinking you have the right to point your finger (WHOEVER you are, or whoever you THINK you are) at an entire group of society and preach the rights and wrongs of their activities because they differ from your personal views is ill-advised at best, but when that behaviour is manifest in a presential candidate for one of the most powerful countries on the planet, it's borderline lunacy !

Hopefully our American friends will see through this tosswad for the gimp he really is !!

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

:eek: Hear! hear!
Oyez! oyez!

Still, it makes you shudder to think that SOME will follow his lead.
(suspicious again) PA

Quote:"[AIDS] is the first time in the history of civilisation in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents."

THAT's bullsh!t as well ... if AIDS were an airborne plague, or something that could be spread by being in close proximity to a sufferer then OBVIOUSLY it would be considered a plague, and therefore people would be quarantined, and appropriate measures taken ...

... but as it's something you have to have either through blood or semen or what have you (it's not like you're going to get AIDS going to the shop and buying a paper, or stirring two people's cups with the same spoon) ... what's his beef ??

Thinly-veiled arguments to back up his underlying borderline extremist views ... *shivers*.

What I wouldn't give to spend five minutes alone with him and a rubber hose ... Cool.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

I wouldnt bother debating such things, hes a twat, maybe he grew up under other circumstances that would effect his twatish policial views.

I just hope the Americans have more sense to vote him in, if it gets out that fundemental and radical views of homosexuality are surefire ways to not get into office, it would be a pretty big step into ensuring gay rights for all!

Huckabee's a moron and I seriously doubt he'll make it through the primaries. If he did though it would be a bad day for the US.

ardus Wrote:Huckabee's a moron and I seriously doubt he'll make it through the primaries. If he did though it would be a bad day for the US.

Dude, Bush is in, all the Americans ive ever met didn't vote for him, someone must have and they outnumber the sane Americans.

Stephen55 Wrote:Dude, Bush is in, all the Americans ive ever met didn't vote for him, someone must have and they outnumber the sane Americans.

I take your point, but wasn't there a small disagreement over Florida, initially? Once in post though he was able to call on the good old standbys of declaring war, redefining patriotism, whipping up fear of change, oh and encouraging the belief that the gays are out to get the decent folk! Since he shot that load to get a second term one hopes that the red team really are a spent force.

Had he not cheated in the first place I don't know if the world would have looked any different today, but I sometimes wonder :confused: