Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypochondria attack!
Anonymous Wrote:Thanks guys, I'm feeling a little calmer now. Truth be told I'm terrified of the doctor's, I've made a lot of bad health decisions since the last time I had a checkup, like picking up smoking (please don't judge), not eating enough, and drinking way too much coffee, I'm terrified to find out that something's terribly wrong with me.

Is it not better to find out something is wrong and fix it, than die from something that -could- have been fixed because you were scared to find out you had something in the first place?

Go to the doc. The worst he can do about your choices is give you a scolding. It's not as if he's going to flog you, yeah?

Anonymous Wrote:I have a long-standing fear of kidney stones, please let's not even go there. On the optimistic side, I have no other symptoms of that, no lower back pain and no VISIBLE blood. Mind you, I though I MAY have seen blood, but I really think it was my imagination and my tendency to fear the worst. Also, I just checked my urine again, it's kind of dark but not suspiciously so, just looks golden.

Yeah...I do too...now. The good thing about kidney stones...when they pass...it is over...poof.

The harsh truth is that, if you don't want to have this kind of worry and anxiety, you have to take care of your body. It is not the doctor's responsibility to keep us healthy.

Consider this a wake up call?

Well yeah I know, I'm not holding the doctor responsible for anything. And as if this could be a wake-up call for me, I wish it could; I have a health-related anxiety attack every other day... one day I have a brain tumor, the next day it's lung cancer, MS, going blind, etc.

Maybe I do need help...

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:Is it not better to find out something is wrong and fix it, than die from something that -could- have been fixed because you were scared to find out you had something in the first place?

Go to the doc. The worst he can do about your choices is give you a scolding. It's not as if he's going to flog you, yeah?

Yeah I know, which is why I want to go for a general checkup soon... I'm just scared though, I have my logic with me and I know what's best, but I can't shake this fear. I can and will do it though, I really should.

Make an appointment with a therapist to work on your OCD issues. Figure out why you do this so you can work on stopping. Many hypochondriacs just want attention and feel lonely. Does this sound like you?

Anonymous Wrote:Well yeah I know, I'm not holding the doctor responsible for anything. And as if this could be a wake-up call for me, I wish it could; I have a health-related anxiety attack every other day... one day I have a brain tumor, the next day it's lung cancer, MS, going blind, etc.

Maybe I do need help...

I had that same thing...went to the doctor waaayyyyy too much in my early 20s with everything from stomach cancer to a brain tumor. It was embarrassing because I would tell the doctor what was wrong with me and the last visit I tricked him by telling him all the symptoms and then when he misdiagnosed me I told him what was REALLY wrong with me.

AIDS cured me. I watched all my 20 something friends die horrible deaths in just a few years and I went the other way with my hypochondria. It stopped cold.

Uneunsae Wrote:Make an appointment with a therapist to work on your OCD issues.

I kind of want to right now, I've literally worried myself sick. Just the thought of kidney stones or cancer is enough to make me feel faint, I'm like pale right now. The other thing is, if I went to the doctor every time I have what I feel is a legitimate worry, I'd be there all the time.

I gotta stop this, logic tells me that odds are I'm perfectly healthy, but the less logical part of my mind makes it out like I've got something very wrong with me. I'm usually better about this, but today I got easily overwhelmed for some reason. And here I am, worrying myself to the point of not wanting to even leave the house over some trick of the light leading me to think that my pee might have a trace amount of blood in it... I just don't know what to think about it all.

I try not to let this show, people generally see me as easy-going and not a worrier, but I worry 24/7. It gets tiring.

OCD is illogical. I know, because I have it, too. For me, it manifests mainly as Body Dysmorphic Disorder. You have to realize that your brain is not thinking realistically and your therapist can help you with that.

I'll keep that in mind and try to let this go. I really made a mess of myself with this one.