Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypocracy
So I grew up in a very small and very religious town in South Carolina, and lets just say it's rather dangerous to be 'out' there. Well lately I cant help but feel like I'm no better than that myself because I just cant seem to get over my hate for rednecks and christians. I'm sure a good bit of it is my own intolerance but after seeing the kinds of things they do and remembering how it made me feel I cant get over it. And it's not just a dislike of them either, I don't think twice about arguing or swinging you know. I'd like to be able to be comfortable and safe in my own hometown but things there never change. Am I a hypocrite?

You're only a hypocrite if you profess one thing and then act differently, generally with an idea of self gain (whatever the gain happens to be).

did you know south carolina has concealed carry? yep, great way to help you be yourself and protect you incase someone wants to take things past words

Glock30 Wrote:did you know south carolina has concealed carry? yep, great way to help you be yourself and protect you incase someone wants to take things past words

Did you know that Wisconsin, Illinois, and Washington DC are the only places in the US that you can't obtain a concealed carry permit? Wisconsin is coming around they passed a concealed carry law that goes into effect November of this year, so that leaves just Illinois and DC as the last standouts for the gun control people. Sorry to be off topic, one of the things I care about.
Richard

poorat99 Wrote:So I grew up in a very small and very religious town in South Carolina, and lets just say it's rather dangerous to be 'out' there. Well lately I cant help but feel like I'm no better than that myself because I just cant seem to get over my hate for rednecks and christians. I'm sure a good bit of it is my own intolerance but after seeing the kinds of things they do and remembering how it made me feel I cant get over it. And it's not just a dislike of them either, I don't think twice about arguing or swinging you know. I'd like to be able to be comfortable and safe in my own hometown but things there never change. Am I a hypocrite?

I think it is great that you are questioning it.....

I am not sure that hypocrisy is the right word but it is certainly in the same family. I have the same problem myself though it has diminished alot over the years and I often have to fight a wave of hate for the religious folks who use religion to control and manipulate and justify and condemn and.....

...they make it so damn easy..

...and the thing that stops me and brings me back every time is simply the fact that if they can pull you down to their level then they win.

sorry going off topic again, it's actually a gay gun club called pink pistols. not sure if there's one in your area but maybe you could try moving somewhere more accepting.

Nah. Not a hypocritic. Personally I don't really like outspoken christians myself or bogans (An Australian type of redneck of sorts), but I live in what was voted the Bogan capital of Australia.
Generally if these type of people don't get into my face I have no issue. I feel comfortable and safe where I live. Generally I believe that if you don't draw attention to yourself you generally reduce the chance of hostility towards yourself and more likely to fit into the community.
My boss is a full on christian (he"s studying to get into the priesthood) and he has negative views to homosexuality. He knows I'm gay and in a sinful relationship. I never openly flaunt my lifestyle around him either. In the end he has told me face to face that I am one of his most respected employees in the workplace. Just goes to show that opposite spectrums can co-exist even when it's in a bogan (redneck) environment.

What exactly is "flaunting"? Some people have an all-encompassing definition with implied restrictions straights would never tolerate.

Flaunting: By openingly and proudly displaying who you are. Sometimes it's not always appropriate to display who you are within some environments as it may attract the wrong attention. Like it would be ok to kiss your BF in a nightclub but may not be appropriate at say a heavy metal concert or church rally.

Toppo Wrote:Flaunting: By openingly and proudly displaying who you are. Sometimes it's not always appropriate to display who you are within some environments as it may attract the wrong attention. Like it would be ok to kiss your BF in a nightclub but may not be appropriate at say a heavy metal concert or church rally.

I say if straight people make public displays of affection in the open, then gay people should be able to too. Holding hands, a peck on the cheek, or a kiss on the mouth. That ought to be tolerated and possible. Showing displays of lust in public, be they gay or straight, is likely to pass for lewdness or whatever laws happen to exist in your country. If it's not forbidden or provided for by the law, then surely, it ought to be possible. This said, I'm not proclaiming that all laws are fair and just. Just saying that if no law forbids public kissing, then it ought to go for anyone. Unfortunately some very antiquated laws still exist even if they are never or not often applied... But the fact that they exist as laws can always give power to those with a vested interest in having them enforced. That is why it's best if the laws are up to date with what's acceptable socially.