Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am really afraid
LONDONER Wrote:If you came out and you find that some friends reject you then that means that they are not really friends at all.

I never really understood this kind of thinking. I agree it could mean they were superficial friends, but knowing that is small comfort to Coletti who loved them and was a friend to them. He has fears because he does love his friends and family.

Darius Wrote:I never really understood this kind of thinking. I agree it could mean they were superficial friends, but knowing that is small comfort to Coletti who loved them and was a friend to them. He has fears because he does love his friends and family.

I think what people mean when they say this is that although it would be painful to lose a friend who means a lot to you, if they would react negatively about you being gay then the only conclusion drawn is that they're not the sort of friends worth having in your life, because if they loved you as much as you love them, it wouldn't be a problem - a shock maybe, might take some getting used to, but a negative reaction certainly isn't conducive to a worthwhile friendship. I guess you're right, it doesn't offer much comfort to the Coletti, but it's kind of a brutal awareness you have to have I suppose, that's how I see it. Bee

Colettiguy Wrote:I have no worries about financial independance. I have a job and can support myself. It makes sense when you say they are probably not my real friends if they don't accept me for who i am.
I think its not so much them not accepting me that is worryng me but me breaking that image of myself in their eyes (which is not real to begin with). I dont know how to explain it.
I will take Mattys advice for now and share it with one person for the time being.

Thanks everyone.

That sounds like a good idea just telling one person. There's certainly no right or wrong way to 'come out', whether you tell everybody at once, or just tell one person for now, it's got to be the right pace and comfortable for you, and whilst we can all offer advice, only you will know what that right decision is - I guess 'comfortable' isn't the best word here, it probably won't be comfortable at first, but I think you get what I mean :-)

As Flyerboy95 says.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Colettiguy I think you are making a good choice do what you need to do at your own pace, dont let yourself get depressed its only going to hurt you in the end.

Yep i know what i have to do. Thanks everyone for all the support, means alot.

Colettiguy Wrote:Yep i know what i have to do. Thanks everyone for all the support, means alot.

That's what we're here for.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams