Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-Gay? What do you think?
Sorry for diverting the thread Op
meridannight Wrote:Goes against every perceptive observation of the world. I will take one man of the caliber of Philip of Macedon, Julius Caesar, or Napoleon or Alexander the Great, instead of 10,000 men.

Then you'd be very silly and your bronze age kingdom wouldn't last very long.

They require an army, an army with weapons, Cavalry and supplies.
What do you imagine a great leader would do with a desert tribe's farmer horde. Have them doing jumping jacks and working out with rocks like some goddamn rocky montage.

War is all about resources If you don't have metal you don't have swords or metal armour. If you don't have a surplus of food large enough to feed a professional army then you don't have a professional army. If you don't have the gold to hire mercenaries then you don't have mercenaries.

Let me give you an example. The medival Japanese never developed shields. This wasn't because they didn't see a strategic value for them, every other civilization on earth developed them for a reason. It was because Japan has no hardwood trees. This led to a heavy preference for the spear the weapon that society's usually move beyond because shields are so effective at stopping them. Spears can be used by any old peasant so the Japanese never had a need to develop fully professional armies like their western medieval counterparts, relying on Ashigaru right up to their modernisation.

So we see how lacking just one resource can drastically alter a people's military development. The cradle of Christianity lacked most resources the only resource they could increase was manpower.

TigerLover Wrote:Then you'd be very silly and your bronze age kingdom wouldn't last very long.

They require an army, an army with weapons, Cavalry and supplies.
What do you imagine a great leader would do with a desert tribe's farmer horde. Have them doing jumping jacks and working out with rocks like some goddamn rocky montage.

I didn't know I was building an army, but okay. All I said is I'll take Philip of Macedon instead of 10,000 men. I didn't say I would fight a battle with just Philip of Macedon. Obviously that's nuts. And you know nobody is that stupid.

If I had say 30,000 men, I would confidently give 10,000 to have either Philip, Caesar, or Napoleon (in his earlier years) to lead them. If the number was 100,000, I might concede to give 25,000-33,000 men for same. So, all in all, a third. Obviously Caesar is not going to win a battle without men. My point was, these men are worth a fraction of an army in their own right.

And, yes, sorry for derailing this thread.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Cuddly Wrote:I would've liked the easy road. Being a white straight male seems as easy as it gets.

To get this back on track, I wanted to respond to this. I don't think white gay men have it harder than white straight males. It doesn't seem easier to me to be straight. I don't know why anybody would even think that. (Also: the easy is not always the best way).

knickerbuck Wrote:
So I've been thinking much about this now; I've been a Christian and people have been telling me that being gay is bad, that I should change, that there is no life after death for people who are gay. I even bought this book from a Christian bookstore and remember crying after that I bought it: [Image: thiswayout.jpg]

I've also been to a lot of websites that offer Reparative/Conversion therapy to its clients in hopes of turning them from gay to straight, plus a lot of searching on the Internet using the keywords: "SSA," "gay-to-straight." I've been through a lot actually, before I even came to this forum and being open about my gayness; wanting to turn myself straight, a gay man stuck in a straight world, I thought to myself. So what do you think, is this kind of behavior normal or deranged (the wanting to change from gay to straight)? I posted this in this section of the Forum since it might pertain to mental health.

¡Santo Cristo!
Well, I don't want offend the religion (of anyone) but the religion came to the current time with a lot of manipulations in the past.
So, don't worry, be gay is ok, you cannot believe in people that wrote a book one century (or two) after the Jesus died, so...
And also rembember that you are no the only one in this situation, I tell you that the best way of be happy with you and your sexuality is accepting it completely and you will be happy yourself! Smile

meridannight Wrote:To get this back on track, I wanted to respond to this. I don't think white gay men have it harder than white straight males. It doesn't seem easier to me to be straight. I don't know why anybody would even think that. (Also: the easy is not always the best way).

Depends on how you measure it, I suppose.

I base it on the fact that we can't have babies, have to think thrice before kissing or holding hands in public and have to assume that 90% of our dating pools are completely unavailable, as well as this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662085/

Obviously the dating pool thing cuts both ways, but it still complicates things further.

Cuddly Wrote:I base it on the fact that we can't have babies, have to think thrice before kissing or holding hands in public and have to assume that 90% of our dating pools are completely unavailable, as well as this

Yeah okay, that makes sense. But the overall 'ease of life' or 'ease of living' is not different from white straight males, in my opinion.