Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I came out to my class today
I usually don't do things like that but the class discussion was about same sex relationships, gender, and all that good stuff. When I did tell the class that I was gay, I suddenly felt really angry. I was pissed off at everyone around me, my heart was pumping and I wanted to break something. I felt like the other students were talking crap about me in their head. The air felt heavy and tense. No one said anything. The whole vibe of the classroom changed or it could have been just in my head. The instructor said she would like to continue this conversation when we reach a different chapter. Than a girl raises her hand and said that she was also gay. After class I talked to my instructor, she was glad I did what I did. She already knew I was gay but in me coming out, she said that i made someone else strong enough to come out. I wonder what our class is going to be like after today.

To be honest, when I think about it, I'm still pissed off about it. Don't really know why, maybe I'm just messed up in the head or something

How exciting! Obviously, I have zero basis on which make this assertion, but if I had to guess, I'd say that the tenseness was only in your head. I say that because I felt the same "weirdness" and anger when I came out to people, but soon I learned that I was the only one making things awkward because I expected... something. Outrage, shock, a pat on the back... I don't know what. But what I got instead was indifference (I'm aware that's not everyone's experience. The recent vid of that kid coming out and getting kicked out of the house by his family proves that).

Congratulations on feeling confident enough to be honest about yourself when the situation came up. Just be yourself. Don't be ashamed, but don't be confrontational either if the situation doesn't call for it. Your sexuality is hopefully not the most interesting thing about you.

I don't get it. I am baffled as to why the whole class needs to know this., Or do they?
I bid NO Trump!

congrats on coming out to your class!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

LJay Wrote:I don't get it. I am baffled as to why the whole class needs to know this., Or do they?

I would say that they don't necessarily need to, but if it was on topic per the discussion, why then be afraid to bring it up unless there's shame involved.

you must have given off a positive image about it, since that girl chose to follow what you did. that doesn't happen when someone projects a negative image with what they're doing.

and at the very least now you'll know who'll stick with you and who won't. hope everything works out okay.

When scared and vulnerable/backed into a corner, the defense mechanism of hostility is common.

You let all your walls down and suddenly felt very exposed, leading to a defensive posture.

It's human, but rationalize it and work through it.

Are you going to a religious college? Otherwise, I think you are probably imagining the reaction of most of the class. Two groups that poll high in their acceptance of gay people are those that are young and those that have some education beyond high school and so you should have a combination of both of those in that environment.

Congratulations on your bravery today. Knowing someone gay is one the biggest things to bring people around who might not be accepting.

What Borg69 said. Plus, who knows what is going on inside other people's heads -- shock, indifference, disgust, curiosity, fear, admiration -- depends on the person. Where this is matters, too. But if this is college, as I assume it is, it is time for people to grow up. Not in high school any more.