Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can't sleep
Okay, starting off by saying I don't think it's insomnia as I do fall asleep...eventually.
Anyway, it is currently 2 am here, and I've tried everything I can think of from elevating my feet to piling up pillows to elevate my head more. Even a combo of the two! I've also tried drinking a tall glass of milk, listening to soothing music, even masturbation! I've done everything natural I can think of and I've given up for the night and taken some NyQuil. I also took it because my chronic cough was bothering me and my inhaler didn't do as good of a job as normal. Augh!
Anyway, I need help with natural sleep remedies.
I don't drink tea (I don't like it unless it's black tea with cream/whole milk and plenty of sugar and/or Splenda)
I'm on a diet so I try to avoid anything involving eating past 8 (9 if I KNOW I'm going to be up late due to working on a project)
I don't like using medication until I'm at the point I'm getting angry from lack of sleep

I think the oddest part is I can nap all day and then pass out when night comes, but sometimes when I don't take a quick nap, I end up wide awake well into the night and even until dawn.
It's the strangest thing for me...

Anyway, all sleep aid advice is very much appreciated, and if you have any questions that may lead to helping me sleep, feel free to ask!

Have you tried Melatonin? It is completely herbal and low cost, a great combo in my book Smile

In China, Bayer makes something called "Black and whites". The whites are basically dayquil mixed with uppers and the black are basically a stronger version of nyquil.

Try to be awake as long as you can ... normally after 24 - 36 hours you can sleep and find your Rythm of sleep again. Maybe buy some valerian-pills or hops-pills.... or drink a warm beer before you go to sleep.
You are to young to use sleeping pills and this stuff.... in your age you are fit enough to stay awake for a time ... sleeping-pills are like shooting sparrows with cannon balls.

ESL: No I haven't. I look into it though! Though those Black and Whites sound dangerous. I'm on a series of medications due to anxiety disorders and ADD and try to avoid anything that could possibly cause a bad reaction.

Fenris: Hm...That may be an interesting method: staying awake as long as possible. Also, here in America, it's illegal for someone my age to drink lol Plus with my previously mentioned medications, alcohol is dangerous. Also my sleep medication is usual Nyquil or AdvilPM. :3

I know you don't drink other teas, but I know that this one will help a lot. I have chronic pain and have always been at best a fitful sleeper, the mix of an ailment with an already well established sleeping disorder makes for many sleepless nights.

A really good tea that makes me sleep is one composed of Catnip, Chamomile Flowers and a touch of mint.

I make the dried tea in huge batches. I take 2 cups of Camomile Flowers (whole and dried), 1 1/2 cup Dried Catnip (human grade not cat grade) and about a dozen or so dried mint leaves. It through those in the food processor with the bottom blade in place. I pulse it until I have chopped up the mix into smallish pieces.

Then I use a tea ball (a metal ball that unscrews at the equator, it has a chain and lots of holes to let water in and out- some times they are made out of screen material). I put in a teaspoon or so of my dried, chopped up tea. I microwave a mug of water for 2 minutes, then lower the tea ball into the mug and let seep 2-3 minutes. Remove the ball, add a touch of honey (sometimes, about 1/2 teaspoon) and drink.

Catnip has the reverse effect on humans than on cats. Camomile has been used for generations as a sleep aide. Mint makes a nice flavor and has a few medicinal uses as well.

I also make gallons of 'iced tea' from it. I use 1/4 Cup of loose tea in 2 cups of hot water, I let stand until the water is at room temperature, then I strain it through a coffee filter in a sieve into a gallon jug, add cold water and refrigerate.

Honey over sugar, raw honey, not the type that has been pasteurized (cooked). Not only is honey easier as a sugar on the body, it also has a few medicinal properties to it.

Also consider Biphasic sleeping.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2011/03...sic-sleep/

Plyphasic sleep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

In essence, instead of sleeping 8 hours straight through, a person has 2 or more sleep periods. It is a more natural sleep cycle, considering that we here in the northern latitudes are subject to long winter nights and short summer nights, thus we have really adapted to the cycles of day/night through seasons, not a cycle of 8 hours of hard sleep with the rest of our night electrified.

Since you are taking an afternoon nap, you may be more prone to the biphasic type sleep patterns and just need to go with it.

I have this sort of sleeping pattern. In winter I have my 'early sleep' and my 'late sleep' with a period of a few hours in the middle of the night where I am awake and pottering around the house.

In the heat of summer my sleep patterns change in that I sleep in the late afternoon (starting at 4-5) and sleep a couple three hours, get up do more stuff and go to bed around 11 and sleep to 4-5 am.

Going with it, instead of fighting it has worked well for me. It might work well for you too.

Usually when I can't sleep it's because my mind is racing too much. One thing that sometimes helps is I'll play a very boring book on tape (or alternately a book on tape of a book I've read but in a foreign language). This seems to keep my thoughts from racing and in my boredom I drift off (sleep mask can help, too).

Plus with my previously mentioned medications, alcohol is dangerous
Rae, look at the ingrediant label on nyquil, it is mostly alcohol, I would find something else that works for you if alcohol reacts to your other meds, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

Thank you everyone for the advice 8D

I forgot to add I use a alcohol free nyquil. It's not actually nyquil. It's some special sugar free, alcohol free stuff my mom gets. The name is obscure so I just call it nyquil.

i ussually work at night to get more money from tips. I ussually run 2-3km, drink a pepsi and i am good to sleep . hope this helps ...
Or you can make the famous coke+ness (the strong coffe not nesstea). 1 cup can keep you awake for 3 hours... Just calculate when you wanna go to bed