Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I conquered my Maths phobia!
I feel so accomplished today, I conquered my fear of Maths, basically I have an exam next week and 1/3 of it is Maths and calculations and well today I did it, I sat down went through my books and I cracked it.

Eventhough I have a grade C at GCSE's in Maths (which all people need nowadays I have always shied away from Maths and calculations, basically through my whole degree Ive had extra help from the tutors and never really understood it after which has made my fear worse because in a science u need to do Maths, but today I managed all the calculations in my mock test and did them right.

I feel so happy and that I've done something.

Good for you, math is the foundation of the universe, conquer math and everything else is easy, JimWink
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

brilliant.... Ill let you into a secret.... I think grades tend to be bollocks anyhow... I remember doing my GSCE'S in school and gave it my best shot in may 2001 (yes 2001 so damn long ago lol) and in the August i collected my results.... U U U U G G G F F... My mates got ABC'S but i thought to myself... I will proove the system to be a con and in my mind... I have... Sure im on £17,500 PA as a salary but to be honest.... I have my own home, car, family (me 2 dogs), I have a small circle of friends in my life and ontop of that... I know my mates with their flashy grades are in RENTED accomodation.... No dog or pets, One of them drives and the others.... Well time will tell!

In life grab any oppetunity and whatever you get be damn proud because it isnt the winning that counts.... Its the taking part... My sister is studying to be a Lawyer she got straight A's and has plans to move to America with her boyfriend who earns stupid money (£90,000+ PA doing web design, computer engineering, mobile apps etc self employed) and the sooner she goes the better but im making sure she sticks to her word of paying my mortgage payments as agreed lol)

zeon Wrote:brilliant.... Ill let you into a secret.... I think grades tend to be bollocks anyhow... I remember doing my GSCE'S in school and gave it my best shot in may 2001 (yes 2001 so damn long ago lol) and in the August i collected my results.... U U U U G G G F F... My mates got ABC'S but i thought to myself... I will proove the system to be a con and in my mind... I have... Sure im on £17,500 PA as a salary but to be honest.... I have my own home, car, family (me 2 dogs), I have a small circle of friends in my life and ontop of that... I know my mates with their flashy grades are in RENTED accomodation.... No dog or pets, One of them drives and the others.... Well time will tell!

In life grab any oppetunity and whatever you get be damn proud because it isnt the winning that counts.... Its the taking part... My sister is studying to be a Lawyer she got straight A's and has plans to move to America with her boyfriend who earns stupid money (£90,000+ PA doing web design, computer engineering, mobile apps etc self employed) and the sooner she goes the better but im making sure she sticks to her word of paying my mortgage payments as agreed lol)

Eventhough I've already passed this exam I got (96% in the coursework) I was still worried bout the exam cause I'm shit at Maths. I got A* in my other subjects just hated Maths. Lol

I hate Maths too. So why on earth I am studying Maths.

Surely all you really need is a basic understanding of calculus and statistics for a microbio degree. At my uni they made us take a course in enzyme kinetics which was all calculus, it was painful.

OrphanPip Wrote:Surely all you really need is a basic understanding of calculus and statistics for a microbio degree. At my uni they made us take a course in enzyme kinetics which was all calculus, it was painful.

I do forensic biology as an option and it's more problem solving Maths not the traditional stuff, but u need to have a good Maths skill something I don't have lol

I love statistics and p values I scored like 98% on my stats module, I find stats easy but the basic Maths is crap.

I sucked at math since junior high, never got over it. sigh...

I never could learn math from a teacher and I don't know why. I was failing middle school math once and I just couldn't get it. The teacher never made any sense to me. In desperation I went through the book again which showed how to do it step by step and it clicked. I not only went from an F student to A but I scored a 110 on the semester exam (and I was the only one who got the bonus question right which the teacher said she didn't expect anyone to get). The teacher then made me tutor some of the other kids and my advice to them (which helped at times, though not always) was to "ignore the teacher, read the book."

And as a child I taught myself multiplication and division through flash cards years before school got around to it.