Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I couldn't express it better
Just been listening to Ricky Martin talking on Larry King's programme... And I feel somewhat akin to much of what he says.... "I felt invaded", when people asked him to come out, or if he was gay, "I was not ready".
So for those of you who think he was not only brave but is also a gorgeous and talented, and warm-hearted and (now) genuine artist...
Here is the interview:
Part1

Part2

Part3

Part4

Part 5

And since this is also about music, I'll share the Spanish and English versions of
The Best Thing About Me Is You

princealbertofb Wrote:Just been listening to Ricky Martin talking on Larry King's programme... And I feel somewhat akin to much of what he says.... "I felt invaded", when people asked him to come out, or if he was gay, "I was not ready".
So for those of you who think he was not only brave but is also a gorgeous and talented, and warm-hearted and (now) genuine artist...
...who supported George Bush.

We all mistakes....
Seems interesting that he is now able to request marriage rights... which George Bush never intended to give gays... He may have had that saving grace: a change of heart.

Cardiganwearer Wrote:...who supported George Bush.
I don't know, this says differently...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/17184296/n...sage-bush/

You'll have to forgive me for being a tad cynical. My misspent youth, it turns out, was filled with showbiz figures from whom just one word, even just one hint of a smidgeon of a suggestion of a word in support of gay people would have done me and kids my age a power of good. We only found out about them when they died of aids related problems, and even then it was usually attributed to liver cancer.

Coming out as gay in 2005 in a career that started in the 90's doesn't strike me as especially brave or liberating. We all knew anyway, anyone remember groundskeeper Willie in the Simpsons uttering the line "We're wasting more energy than Ricky Martin's girlfriend". This was in the 2001/2002 season.

I apreciate that mr. Martin has since changed his political stance, but I have to ask, how do you make a mistake like that in the first place?

Call me a grumpy old cynic... ooh yeah... and again...

Well, it's brave because it's was obviously not easy for him coming out, even if he's so glad he did... It took some soul searching. Listen to the interview and you'll probably get it... It's very easy to bury it under a ton of reasons. And not being American, I haven't seen that episode of the Simpsons, so don't remember. I know that I'm glad he's now able to tell the truth, and be so candid, but lots of people who've learnt to accept themselves quicker don't really understand what a long process it can be for some people. It was for me even though I knew since whenever.... so I can relate to that, and so can my partner, I'm sure.

He denied being gay as he knew it would damage his career, then when the career is basically in the toilet to garnish media interest he comes out, sorry but he's the usual self-serving celebrity whore.

Benderboy, the reason you mention was surely one of many, but it's not the only one.

I think this is a generational thing. I don't know if people of your generation can relate to anything like this because society's acceptance has really changed in the past ten years or so... It's relatively recent. You guys probably have no idea of the self-loathing, and the idea of abnormality that our generation, and maybe those before us, held in our heads and hearts. Society at large made us understand it every minute in every cell, every pore and every bone. Why do you think it's still so hard for some to come out, even today? You feel abnormal, you hope you'll fit in some day. You try the straight life? It's not for you but what have you got to compare it with?
So, OK, maybe Ricky Martin isn't so brave... for coming out when it's actually easier, if only to have fought his own demons. I still don't think it's fair to call someone a whore just because they are finally admitting who they are. In that case, I too am a whore. :redface:
But I know I'm not. Wink