Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I do not like toppers
Not to be trying to top anyone but this is something I really try not to do cause I dont like it either. I get more out of playing things down and not up most the time. I had pictures of me and some of the fish I caught in the south in my locker at work. Guys would see them and start in about fish they caught then another one would top that and then another and another and another.I finally took the pictures down.

I prefer being a topper from the bottom. Sagrin
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

CC's comment reminded me of some dumb indy comedy movie we saw that only had one funny line in it. It was about women working in a big office full of cubicles. One of them was getting promotions and raises faster than any of the other women so the others figured out how she was getting them. When the one woman finally got her own office another one asked her why she wasnt ashamed of fucking her way to the top.

Answer
"I stopped worrying about that when I realized its better than fucking my way to the bottom."

I probably lean a little bit towards understating... in most cases it's not modesty so much as I think in places like online discussion forums where none of us "really" knows each other offline, the conversation should be based on the merit of ideas and not on "well, I did x y and z so I know better than you." We can't really verify any of those claims anyway and I believe that worthy ideas can stand on their own legs.

I'm very open (like a book) with people I get to know one-on-one, usually "behind the scenes", and there are a few of those in this thread. Several of them were witness to unintentionally amusing or ironic situations where I was getting schooled about something by someone who clearly just didn't know what they were talking about. Once I was told by someone online "I think you're racist against Asians and I bet you don't even know any in real life", which was quite funny to all the people who knew that I am half-Asian.

Yes, I also try to come from a place of understanding and not, "I know more than you" and often am just trying to give a unique perspective on a topic. That's all.

lauj Wrote:People who try to top your story, I hate it. For example, if I say I got a fever, they will say I had a fever, broke my leg, and had to run 3 miles. Its very annoying. Its like that's all they do is try to top people's story and than make other people feel bad for them. I had a class mate like that, and at one point it made another student so angry she walk out of class with her middle fingers up in the air. She told the class that she had 3 strokes last night... What am I supposed to say to people like that? Am I just supposed to act like I care, ignore their story totally, or walk out with my middle fingers in the air?

Question them. Toppers loves to flourish their stories so play the game and show them fake interest. And three strokes in a night. Wow! Might want to ask her what constitutes a stroke in her knowledge. If she played baseball the night before, yes I can understand she had three strokes/strikes whatever floats her boat.

What's a stroke? A stroke is a sudden loss of brain function. It is caused by the interruption of flow of blood to the brain (ischemic stroke) or the rupture of blood vessels in the brain (hemorrhagic stroke). The interruption of blood flow or the rupture of blood vessels causes brain cells (neurons) in the affected area to die.

The effects of a stroke depend on where the brain was injured, as well as how much damage occurred. A stroke can impact any number of areas including your ability to move, see, remember, speak, reason and read and write. If she truly had three strokes the night before, chance are she wouldn't have been able to tell the tale, three strokes in the same night and the next day she recall them all three it's pretty far fetch.

Jake has been 2 days in a diabetic coma and he lost at least 24 if not 48 hours of memory which he'll never get back. A stroke is much more damageable in short time. So yes Toppers loves to flourish, so play the game, it's annoying, yes, but often it's just a sad sad sad cry for attention.

For myself, when someone tries too much to tops, I just let them top. I open a book if they're in front of me, play with my iPAD and Online I just ignore the shit out of them. Everyone has their own experience and experience is to share not to compare. I cannot compare my experience with Jake or any of you but I can sure share it and learn from other. But if the "OTHER" is trying too much to be right, I just turn around and let them be right. And yes, there's a huge community of "TOPPERS" right here in GS.

*Chuckles at Mike and CC* You know, when I first started reading I -knew- someone was going to go in one of those directions. I just love being right.

Wait, does that make me a topper or just an ass?

*Snickers*

Gideon Wrote:*Chuckles at Mike and CC* You know, when I first started reading I -knew- someone was going to go in one of those directions. I just love being right.

Wait, does that make me a topper or just an ass?

*Snickers*
I assume Jay's ass is bigger (sorry for stereotyping)
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

Quote:She told the class that she had 3 strokes last night...

And you all assumed she meant the medical condition?

PatrickLondon Wrote:And you all assumed she meant the medical condition?

And which one you believe it to be, toppers tend to exaggerate for attention, I definitely not believe she was talking about pencil strokes.