Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I do not like toppers
East Wrote:Speaking of toppers from the other end of the spectrum...I stop myself from sharing maybe 1/3 of my actual responses online because it would involve that and in 3-D world I simply keep my mouth shut about it even when someone asks so I don't do that to someone....

I was never a shut in...I went out everyday and did stuff and participated heavily in my own life so I naturally have a lot of experiences but I hold back so it doesn't sound like I am trying to one up someone...I have been accused of it before.

It took me a long time and a lot of elbows to the ribs from people I was embarrassing to learn that a lot of my experiences are considered over the top by most people. If it's a good story, I try, really try to let them bring their story out and share in their excitement. If it's a bad story, I try to smile politely. Either way, I try to keep my mouth relatively shut. But I'm still not great at it.

lauj Wrote:People who try to top your story, I hate it. For example, if I say I got a fever, they will say I had a fever, broke my leg, and had to run 3 miles. Its very annoying. Its like that's all they do is try to top people's story and than make other people feel bad for them. I had a class mate like that, and at one point it made another student so angry she walk out of class with her middle fingers up in the air. She told the class that she had 3 strokes last night... What am I supposed to say to people like that? Am I just supposed to act like I care, ignore their story totally, or walk out with my middle fingers in the air?
Wow. I thought I was the only one who was bothered by this. I hate this so much. People just let their ego's get in the way sometimes. And for some reason, tragedy has to be a competition. Like, you can't complain cause' such and such had that happen to him. So they, then disregard everybody else's pain cause' the other person's matters more. There will always be these D'bags in our lives.

I never really thought about this ... Do I do that??

Cuddly Wrote:I never really thought about this ... Do I do that??
Maybe...
I'm pretty sure I do it better..
and I have cuter kitten pics    

Uh...no no no no no....

My cats are much bigger...and prettier...and faster...and louder...

......my kittens rock

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwqZ5Apv5x9gkibfmfU70...DpxwnxWMIS]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrmyDohSyCimkh3oooNVl...6yooBt5GQA]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoN6eIqbWLbeZOYDWDuBE...-gSBXhYW9-]

CCRox Wrote:I prefer being a topper from the bottom. Sagrin

That's what I thought this thread was gonna be about.

I've only met a couple of people who consistently tried to top what everyone else said - most people just avoided them anyway.

I know I don't have to worry about being a topper - nothing I've done could top paint drying.

I've known a few toppers in my life, one of them is even a friend of mine. I don't think he does it intentionally in the sense of trying to be superior or acting like a douche. He's just so used to it and it's part of his nature...I really do think it's a psychological "problem" of sorts. Our mutual friends and I have pointed it out to him but he just shrugs it off...and at this point we just kinda do the same. It is who he is.

As for me, I just tell it like it is, and I don't try to overstate or understate (though I may understate a bit if it's a sensitive topic with a sensitive person). If someone wants to top me, well then so be it.

East Wrote:Uh...no no no no no....

My cats are much bigger...and prettier...and faster...and louder...

......my kittens rock

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwqZ5Apv5x9gkibfmfU70...DpxwnxWMIS]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrmyDohSyCimkh3oooNVl...6yooBt5GQA]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoN6eIqbWLbeZOYDWDuBE...-gSBXhYW9-]
Gasp!!!..
I have a pic of a Puss i'D like to post...
Might get banned!

*Just because I think it needs to be said*

If you are reading this(or have read this) and you're thinking to yourself.."Is this what people think when I share my experiences or tell my stories?" Stop...Stop worrying that you're a "topper" simply because you share some of your life experiences, some of your pain with others.

If you're worried about this? If these thoughts are going through your mind...then you're probably NOT a topper, simply because THAT is what went through your mind instead of something along the lines of "Yeah well -I- know this person..."

If you help even ONE person with your stories, if you make even ONE person feel better or feel like they're not alone because you've shared...then you're helping. So don't stop doing that, it's important, yeah?

Gideon Wrote:*Just because I think it needs to be said*

If you are reading this(or have read this) and you're thinking to yourself.."Is this what people think when I share my experiences or tell my stories?" Stop...Stop worrying that you're a "topper" simply because you share some of your life experiences, some of your pain with others.

If you're worried about this? If these thoughts are going through your mind...then you're probably NOT a topper, simply because THAT is what went through your mind instead of something along the lines of "Yeah well -I- know this person..."

If you help even ONE person with your stories, if you make even ONE person feel better or feel like they're not alone because you've shared...then you're helping. So don't stop doing that, it's important, yeah?

Hmm. Were you addressing me specifically?

Cause I immediately wondered if I come off as a topper... I do tend to draw from personal experience and try to explain by using my experiences as example.... but it may read differently than what I intend...

IDK, I rarely listen to myself - which is why I am always going around saying 'Huh, what did you say?' :eek: