Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got banned for saying I was gay? ( Sherdog forum )
Shad Smith's a gay UFC fighter, but he sucks.... at the sport I mean.

rascalrichie Wrote:Haha are you going over there to cause trouble? Good idea! Ak472

Oh...is that what you were thinking? Huh. Smile

Lex

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:[MENTION=22447]rascalrichie[/MENTION] ... The email to contact their admin is

I did that already. No luck, but I will just let it go.

LJay Wrote:The place to deal with this is at Sherdog, not here. It's like going to complain at Sears because you got a raw deal at WalMart. Take it up with the admin at Sherdog.

Oh I am not here to find a "solution" to it, I just wanted to know if people here have similar experiences. I just wanted a discussion about it.

Jerry Wrote:Well, what choice of words regarding a topic did you use then, since they turned out to be so homophobic? And what did it say in your signature then ?

The topic was a specific fighters physique. I did not argue or flame them, so many people were responding so there was no time to reply to all. So I just put in my signature that I am gay but that my interest in the sport is genuine.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:So you said or commented on something gay related, got a reprimand/bad responce then decided to go militant and write a signature to rub it into the (I assume) moderator's noses in the reprimand...

The thing is being LGBT doesn't give us special rights. Sure you may have said something LGBT related which bent a nose or three, however knowing that the topic bends noses doesn't mean that part of your gay superpowers is immunity for consequences when you use LGBT to purposefully bend those noses further.

I go to this site:

There is a very, very, very strong undertow of hatred and intolerance there, they have threads like 'guess the race' (anti-black) and god hates fags, and antisemite - you name the minority it gets slammed.

The owner administrator there is clearly a hater. I do not go out of my way to push his buttons nor anyone else's buttons because I know my ISP will be banned.

Like it or not these places and people exist. We do not win them over by being militant and shoving our faggoty lifestyles down their throats (trust me, that is how they see it). We do, however, win over more people by playing by their rules and demonstrating that we are individuals who feel pretty much as they feel, have empathy and act "normal" - as in we are not two headed freaks out to convert every child to the LGBT way of life (a myth they firmly believe).

You just need to learn how to steer a course through the toxic waters of intolerance and learn how to NOT purposefully stir the shit pot. And when you do accidentally push the right buttons apologize and let it go.

LGBT have won rights and tolerance more through demonstrating that we are still human beings. It is through our day to day 'ungay' life aspects that have converted many who were intolerant to seeing us as human beings first and foremost, thus making the Gay Thing less of an issue in their minds.

You are about 18 years younger than me, and in a bit of a more socially tolerant (To gays, women and Muslims not so much) environment. So yeah it may be shocking to you to come up against this sort of opposition. However its nothing new, and in many places on earth today there is far worse they do to self proclaimed/admitted homosexuals - things like remove the head from the body of gays.

The Internet is an international and inter-cultural place where you are going to run up against haters and intolerant individuals.

It never ends well to rub it in - no matter what the subject is. [There is no winning an argument on the internet[/URL].

Net time you find yourself in a similar position, drop the subject, let it go and whatever you do don't try to force it down other people's throats or 'argue' the point in any measure. you won't win the argument, you will get banned, you will earn the title Troll.

I'm sorry, life, the internet, and all of this other crap isn't fair.

What?

That is not what I said at all, I dont know how you could misunderstand my post like that. I was not rubbing it in, I was participating in the discussion when serveral members called me out for being gay, they were too many to reply to so I put in my signature that yes I am gay but my interest in the sport is genuine. I did not tell anybody to deal with it or do anything to provoke. I did not argue with anybody either. I was outed as gay and when I "confessed" I got banned. And you think I should apologize?

Sherdog is a sports forum, I follow many sports and write in many fan forums without a single problem at all. I was not stirring the pot I have no idea why you think that I did. The fact that you are 18 years older than me is not a good argument in a discussion.

I did not realize my background was relevant or that this was some contest in who has the harder background, but I am an immigrant with middle eastern roots and I have not always lived in the UK. Neither my countrymen or family accept me so if you think I should hide and be all hush hush about my sexuality on an internet forum you are dead wrong.

I would much rather not write on that forum anymore.

Second hand drama. It's the worst.

Is there a reason you have joined this forum other than that?

I don't know whether to be disappointed in SherDog or in GaySpeak. I'm starting to feel like the inhabitant of a country that didn't get invaded because the invading force forgot it existed.

(pulls off helmet and chainmail, pours self cup of mead and sits down dejectedly)

Lex

^ I will keep my loins girded for onslaught.

if you really love the sport then just go to another forum - there's no rule that says you have to admit your gay anywhere and to hell when people say you should never hide your sexuality - if your gonna loose out on something you love then just stick to the topics on the sport forum and just accept that not everyone loves a gay that can probably bitch slap them from here to kingdom come (that's if your any good at MMA mate)

rascalrichie Wrote:I think theres an attitude problem towards gay people in the sport, I know of one girl that is openly gay, no guys, and thats for an entire sport!

I'm doing martial arts and honestly the people I met by doing this are some of the most respectful people I have ever met. I think it is part of the 'lifestyle' behind it that actually teaches about respect and tolerance, so I'm surprised to read that you think there is an attitude problem. Strange how it can differ so much per club.