Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street preachers vs gays
I also remember what the Bible says about slavery, including in the New Testament, among other horrid things (forcing women to marry rapists, for example, or even sacrificing one's virgin daughter which was validated by St. Paul). I'm so glad the world doesn't live by the Bible as it would be much worse than it is if it did. I've certainly had "gays must die" thrown at me from the Bible enough times...

'Course that's not to say everything is terrible in it. But heck, even Mein Kampf and Charlie Manson had a few good things to say, but that's not enough to redeem the evil in them. I don't mean to say the Bible is inherently evil but I'm not going to pretend it's some brilliant work in enlightened ethics either.

MisterLove Wrote:Honey I didn't want to start a debate on religion and I don't want to offend anyone's beliefs on GS but I have no doubt whatsoever that the Bible really is the word of God.

No other book has passed the test of time like the Bible did; it is and always will be important and relevant. The mere fact that we're here discussing it shows it.

Then there's what I call its literary quality. No other work of literature is comparable to the Bible, not even the greatest works of Shakespeare or Homer. It is the most profound, complex, ambitious, beautiful and meaningful book ever written and that's because it was written by God, not by men.

Finally, there's the ethical reason. The ethical principles defended on the Bible are the right ones and if we lived by them, we would have Heaven on earth. Sadly we don't and that's why our world is a mess.

Just remember what Jesus said about forgiveness: But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you (Matthew 5:44) A wiser thing has never been said. Just imagine if everyone would put this into practice.

so misogynist views in the bible is okay?
Just because it lived through time doesn't mean that it's ethical or reasonable.

And then there's others like science and bible i won't talk about here.

MisterLove Wrote:Honey I didn't want to start a debate on religion and I don't want to offend anyone's beliefs on GS but I have no doubt whatsoever that the Bible really is the word of God.
No other book has passed the test of time like the Bible did; it is and always will be important and relevant. The mere fact that we're here discussing it shows it.
Then there's what I call its literary quality. No other work of literature is comparable to the Bible, not even the greatest works of Shakespeare or Homer. It is the most profound, complex, ambitious, beautiful and meaningful book ever written and that's because it was written by God, not by men.
Finally, there's the ethical reason. The ethical principles defended on the Bible are the right ones and if we lived by them, we would have Heaven on earth. Sadly we don't and that's why our world is a mess.
Just remember what Jesus said about forgiveness: But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you (Matthew 5:44) A wiser thing has never been said. Just imagine if everyone would put this into practice.

MisterLove
You are a disappointment. I want to give you credit for being an intelligent man. This creates a problem after I read some of this things you said above. If I give you credit for being a man with above average intelligence and factor in the indefensible statements you made there are only two possible explanations.
#1. You are not as intelligent as I'm trying to give you credit for ---- or
#2. You are as intelligent or more intelligent than I give you credit for but you conspire to tell outrageous lies to perpetuate your religion.
Your closing paragraph is an insult to my intelligence.
But I say unto you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
"a wiser this has never been said" "Just imagine if everyone put this into practice." Skip just a few pages back in your bible for some more words from Jesus. Lets call them the greatest words and yearn like you did to put them into practice.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." - Jesus of Nazareth, Matthew 10:34-36 (KJV)

Sword... son against father... daughter against mother.. foes in your own household. So much for all that mushy gushy fluffy stuff you quoted from Jesus.

You called the bible the most profound, complex, ambitious, beautiful and meaningful book ever written and that's because it was written by God, not by men.

Written by god???? Shullbit. That is an indefensible statement and now that you've made it you should be made to accept responsibility for it. Wikipedia gives a polite and accurate account with [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]"The books of the canon of the New Testament were written mostly in the first century and finished by the year 150 AD. For the Orthodox, the recognition of these writings as authoritative was formalized in the Second Council of Trullan of 692, although it was nearly universally accepted in the mid 300s."
[/SIZE][/COLOR] What Wiki omitted was an account of all the books that were omitted from the New Testament and even edited or embellished before being included in the New Testament and the THOUSANDS of people put to death for possessing scriptures men said were not written by god while they edited a book they demanded people believe was written by god.

Then for you to blame the state of the world today because we do not adhere to biblical ethics is an outrageous insult to a world that knows better. Biblical ethics are the most self serving and variable types of ethics that each christian determines in order to add the god's stamp of approval on their own prejudices, hates and dislikes. IF respect for truth were in your bible ethics you would be subjected to being stoned for lack of respect for it.