Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have my first job interview tomorrow!
And I'm nervous as hell, my goodness. It's just a sort of pastry/coffee cafe (working at one of those is my dream job because I love the ambience and the smell of coffee) at the mall. I just applied yesterday and got called in today, I didn't expect an interview or for it to be so soon. Does anyone have any advice?

Should I wear a shirt and tie? I was thinking that it's just a mall job so I wouldn't have to wear one. And then I don't want to appear that I'm trying too hard by wearing one or that I'm not taking the job seriously by not wearing one. So I'm torn!

Would semi-formal be good? Ugh, I'm in total panic mode.

Wish me luck everyone, I'll need it. >_>

I think a shirt would be enough without the tie... although what ever your most comfortable with Smile

I can't give much advice as I'v never had a job yet Sad nor a proper interview...
But Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine and get the job Smile

Hey good luck I got one too mate.

Put a nice shirt, truers and shoes on, and try and be your self xxx

Just dress comfortably. For a job like that, just wear a nice shirt and pants and you'll be fine. I've never dressed overly professional for any interview, I like to be myself and just show who I am. I think they appreciate that more. In the interview, they will be more concerned about how you present yourself attitude wise I find. So just be yourself and also have fun with it Smile

Yes, I think the DRESS COMFORTABLY advice applies, so if you are comfortable wearing ties, why not.... You'll probably have to wear some uniform at the counter anyway... Good luck, but I'm sure you'll be just perfect. Incidentally you'll get a lot of credit if you just smile and tell them how happy you are to have an opportunity to serve customers. If they see you are charming, they'll know you'll be good with customers, and happy customers mean profit...

dress shirt and tie! definitely. It doesn't hurt to dress a little more professional than need be. and yea... smile a lot, maintain eye contact, and just be enthusiastic and honest!

The tire might be overdoing it. As you said about the ambiance, it might be a bad idea to seem too uptight to work in a place like that, unless of course the uniform is like that. Think about what the employees wear and try to look more professional without looking too stiff.

Also, stand up straight. Eye contact, dont say things like um, or like. Show them you want to be there and can handle the stress.

I encourage you to come 30 minutes earlier. This is a standard rule for anyone who's going to attend a job interview. This way you can:
  • Give a good impression to the manager (Eg. Punctuality and discipline)
  • Allows you to relax. Not a good idea to sweat during a job interview.
  • Observe the environment of the place where you plan to work. It will boost comfort and confidence.

Quote:working at one of those is my dream job because I love the ambience and the smell of coffee

Make sure you mention this during the job interview.

Hope all went well I didnt get my job Cry

How'd it go Tux?