Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just came home from the Gym and feel as I lost track of time
This is soooooooooo weird! I was at the gym at around 9:45 pm, came home at around 10:40 pm, and although I remember doing my weightlifting routine, I seem to completely blank out as to how I got home and what happened AFTER leaving the gym and driving back home!? My gym is only a short drive from my house. I am extremely perplexed as to why this happened! I have no idea how I was able to drive and get home safely!? as I write this I am still extremely spaced out; this coming from someone who is usually extremely alert at all times! have this ever happened to anyone?

You were probably on auto-pilot. If you do that trip regularly, particularly at the same time, you can do it without thinking about it and were obviously still responding to traffic lights and other vehicles because you made it safely.

When it happens to me, I just figure it's an age thing!
I can EXPLAIN it to you but I can't UNDERSTAND it for you
Spoiler:
!

ShiftyNJ Wrote:You were probably on auto-pilot. If you do that trip regularly, particularly at the same time, you can do it without thinking about it and were obviously still responding to traffic lights and other vehicles because you made it safely.

That is exactly what my brother told me while I was on the phone talking to him a few minutes ago! thank you for confirming it!

My concern would be that it might -not- be spacing out on auto pilot. Have you had a recent physical? How was your BP? If you haven't, it might be time to go in for one.

CarGuy65 Wrote:When it happens to me, I just figure it's an age thing!

Naaaah! we are still young my dear CarGuy65! I was probably working out a bit too much! I am beginning to feel my old self again! I am just concerned what if it happens again while driving back home!?

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:My concern would be that it might -not- be spacing out on auto pilot. Have you had a recent physical? How was your BP? If you haven't, it might be time to go in for one.

I am taking notes, thank you my friend!

I had both reactions,

one that you were probably high on the endorphins that your body produced from the gym, that is possible, it lulled your senses pleasingly. Maybe even distracted by your thoughts if you were feeling tired.

Two, you're used to driving that road home, you went onto automatic pilot.

Three, do get a physical check up and ask about this, because there may be a hidden cause there, and you wouldn't want to pass it up, if there were cause to worry.

I have the auto pilot thing all the time when I drive from San Francisco to San Jose on HWY 101. I think about it a lot afterward when I realize it has happened....it is amazing to me how I checked out but managed to drive all this way on auto pilot. I remember the things like the music I was listening to or the conversation I was having if someone is with me but the driving part...nothing.

Since this happened after a workout, and since you lost a significant chunk of memory and this is all new to you (as in you do not do it), and you were spaced out for a while afterward, this may be indicative of onset of a seizure disorder, or some issue affecting the brain.

I have epilepsy, and contrary to popular belief this doesn't mean I just have break-dancing fits (grand mal seizures), I also have absence seizures and partial-complex seizures.

Back in the day just before I started presenting with grand-mal, I started losing chunks of my daily routine - well the ability to recall what I had been doing. I was having a lot of absence seizures at the time and I didn't know that, and everyone else around me just thought i was spacing out, day dreaming and other interesting but wholly inaccurate accusations were flung at me (not paying attention, not caring what a person was saying, etc). also lots of Déjà vu, 'mood swings', sensory abnormalities and other stuff which by themselves were so small and inconsequential that I ignored them. I didn't put the larger picture together until after I started throwing off major tonic-colonic (grand mal) type seizures.

Seizures can be caused by many things, High or Low blood pressure can cause seizures, stress, brain damage, hard wiring issues. Onset can happen at any age, and not only epilepsy can cause seizures.

The fact you lost bit of time doesn't perturb me as much that you were feeling spaced out for a spell afterward. This is indicative that something deeper is going on. I get this space out feeling during particularly active days (active as in having lots of minor seizures).

Since this has never happened before, and you are usually more aware, this is a significant and sudden change which you need to have seen ASAP. As in I would strongly urge you to see a doctor this week urgency.

I hope its just a one off, but if this is a brain thing setting in you really want to get that attended to, diagnoses and treated sooner than later.