Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just came home from the Gym and feel as I lost track of time
Could this have been a simple case of low blood sugar? Did you take in any calories after your physical exertion?

East Wrote:I have the auto pilot thing all the time when I drive from San Francisco to San Jose on HWY 101. I think about it a lot afterward when I realize it has happened....it is amazing to me how I checked out but managed to drive all this way on auto pilot. I remember the things like the music I was listening to or the conversation I was having if someone is with me but the driving part...nothing.

I love 101 between Monterey and SLO... such a beautiful drive, but you better have your wits about you there!

ShiftyNJ Wrote:I love 101 between Monterey and SLO... such a beautiful drive, but you better have your wits about you there!

Ah...yeah...I think you are referring to HWY 1 and if so...I definitely do not use auto pilot on that road. It is beautiful...and dangerous. I spent the day in Monterey last Sunday actually but I didn't go south on HWY 1 past there.

Now that I am thinking of it...I have another weird driving thing... in San Francisco. The more chaos that is happening around me...the calmer I get. I have been with people who have panic attacks driving in San Francisco with all the stimuli and things happening but none of that ever bothers me at all....

You probably just spaced out and daydreamed a little on your journey home. I am guessing you do the journey pretty regularly, so it has become routine for you and the memories of it probably do not seem so prominent for you.

As my therapist told me it is quite normal to have only have parts of a memory of an event, because if we remembered everything we did day to day in life we would not be able to function at all.

Euh check with your doctor my dear friend, what you just described could be vertigo or mini-stroke, I wouldn't spend much time here and talk with your doc ASAP

Wolfpack Wrote:As my therapist told me it is quite normal to have only have parts of a memory of an event, because if we remembered everything we did day to day in life we would not be able to function at all.

You're right, but this is a little different, a subsequent memory loss like it happened to him aren't normal, such sudden loss of memory can hide much more issues than it seems. I still recommend him to speak with his doctor.

Only a short car drive? Hell, whole days can go by like that. Who am I? Where am I? How'd i get *here*?? We're all mostly creatures of habit (which is why it's a good idea to cultivate good ones when you're younger). There are also different parts. The body knows how to drive the car and get to and from the gym without much attention at all. So while that's going on the brain is thinking about this and that -- pretty much the same stuff it 'thinks' about all the time (which is to say, it really isn't 'thinking' at all). The emotions are in neutral, nothing good or bad or happy or sad going on. It often takes something 'out of the ordinary' to get our attention. Like, some driver cuts you off at an intersection, or an emergency vehicle with a siren blaring speeds by, or some hunk with his shirt off mowing the lawn. The last are THE most dangerous… one moments distraction, especially when driving, can lead to a world full of hurt.

Anyway, unless you're repressing something you don't *want* to remember or there is some medical problem causing short-term memory loss and dissociation, nothing to worry about. Half the time I'll get up, walk into a room, and then not have any idea why I went there. BUT if this happens again or more frequently, def see an MD.

My money is on alien abduction.

Have you checked for any weird marks on your body?

Just saying Biglaugh

I am thinking maybe your blood sugar got low. I have type 2 diabetes and have suffered gaps like you experienced when I mess on my meds.

Thank ....thank you......thank you! I am feeling fine, just fine! reading everyone's posts and genuine concerns have made my day! and yes, I've already made a Doctor's appointment for next week! thank you....thank you...thank you!!