Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I like Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
I get that having a canadian/Minnesotan accent isn't trendy but that song is so fucking good

I've never heard of accents being trendy...but I wouldn't worry about trendy with Gordon Lightfoot

Nice song actually, not listened to it or Gordon Lightfoot in general much before really, I actually like his accent in it

I have always loved this song.

Arkansota Wrote:I get that having a canadian/Minnesotan accent isn't trendy but that song is so fucking good

Why should any accent be trendy?

southbiochem Wrote:why should any accent be trendy?

cause......

I grew up to stories, songs, and several story books inspired by that ship wreck. On occasion. the trading post right outside my city sells art based on the ship. Maybe people here, specifically the older people, remember it so well because the storm that sank the Edmund Fitzgerald is also one of the worst storms to ever hit my community, and most people that lived through it tell me it's the closest thing to a hurricane we've gotten here (discounting freakish snow storms). That's just something that doesn't happen here usually, as the Canadian Shield, which is literally a geographical shield consisting of hills and mountains, protects us from extremely severe weather.

Back on the topic of the song,the song is beautiful, and almost eerie, I imagine the people on the ship when I listen to it. Perhaps it connects because it's about something real.

Woollyhats Wrote:Canadian Shield, which is literally a geographical shield consisting of hills and mountains, protects us from extremely severe weather.

Call me ignorant, but isn't the Canadian Shield an extension of eroded-by-glaciation land?

Miles Wrote:I've never heard of accents being trendy...but I wouldn't worry about trendy with Gordon Lightfoot

Nice song actually, not listened to it or Gordon Lightfoot in general much before really, I actually like his accent in it

Great singer and great song, historical too Smile

I watched a couple of ceremonies involving the crew of this ship.
I think the one where they brought up the ships bell and replaced it with one that has all the crews names engraved on it, is a really good story.