Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm in love with my student, what should I do?
Honestly dude, I think you should forget about the entire thing and move on. Like other people have pointed out you're his teacher and in a position of power over him. Are you going to be able to keep your personal and private lives separate? Are you going to be able to grade him fairly? I don't think you would to be honest. Your emotions would compromise your ability to treat him like any other student and that would give him an unfair advantage over the other students.

Plus, lets not forget he's 15 years old. I honestly doubt he's "in love" with you. He's got a crush at best. We all remember what it was like at that age any cute guy (or girl in some people's cases) that we felt a connection with, we were instantly "in love" with that person. These feelings might seem genuine now but in a year he'll probably not even remember 'em.

Finally like others have pointed out IT'S FRICKING ILLEGAL!! Think about the consequences if you got caught you'd A.) Lose your job, B.) Get thrown in jail (and trust me they don't take kindly to people who are deemed child molesters, which you will be seen as), and C.) not be able to work in any school system ever essentially flushing away all the money you spent for schooling.

This one kid (and that's what he is) is not worth all that crap. Put your big boy pants on, get over it and move on. If it's too hard get another math teacher to take over the tutoring and keep interactions to him at a minimum and ONLY in the classroom.

One word: DON'T. :mad:

First page synopsis: labels/name-calling. I skipped the second page.

OP: consider the rest of your life, and the career you have. How difficult will it be to find another job when concerned parents that don't understand the relationship you are pursuing don't trust you to make your job a personal audition pool for romance? (<devil's advocacy at work there)

I believe that you have fallen in love with who this boy is, not just the fact that he is underdeveloped, so I don't think of you as paedophile, but you absolutely must consider the fact that you are in your position because of your profession, not because of any social circumstance. Do your best to separate your romance from work.

I read this yesterday and as I'm a sloppy old romantic I thought I'd try to imagine all the ways this could go well if you pursued it. Here's a list:

Seriously, you're going to have to endure some short term pain in exchange for being able ever to get a job in the future, because if you make any move, no matter how noble or abstemious in intent, you'll be losing the one you've got.

You're naturally going to frame this as making a sacrifice for a fifteen year old who you imagine loves you, perhaps he does. In terms of consequences it doesn't matter which it is.

He's fifteen, he'll be over it quicker than you'll ever get another job, or if you pursue it now perhaps before you're out of prison. It's never going to be. You either choose to lose him or the authorities will step in and you'll still lose him along with a lot of other unpleasantness.

If you choose just to teach him maths, you'll be doing something very admirable, it's something we all need to know. Teaching is a wonderful thing. I envy those with the education, inclination and stamina to do it. If you're inclined to fall for younger men, all is not lost, literature is full of examples of the sublimation of such desires into noble outcomes in the academic sphere. It doesn't get written about if it's unknown, but none of these outcomes involve dating.

Ignore the stuff about paedophilia or ephebophilia, they're categories made up by psychiatrists, they only vaguely correspond to real world collections of symptoms, not real things that have their own existence. They were just made up for the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual. We're presently on DSM IV, homosexuality was only excluded from DSM II in 1974. Did it cease to be a psychiatric condition then? Of course not, it was never one in the first place, it was just a description in a book. You've got a crush on a kid, if you resist acting on it you will never become a subject of interest to psychiatry and it's book.

There is another book, The Law, runs to several volumes and hurts like hell when they hit you with it; see that they don't.

I feel like I'm the worst person in the world

The child is still underage then. In the UK i believe it is 16.

But even then i don't agree with this at all, I believe you need to have a long hard think about what you might be thinking about doing. Please don't ruin your life or that child's life. Or even that child's family's life.

Alexander Wrote:I feel like I'm the worst person in the world

You're far from being the worst person in the world.

But you cross that line with a 15 year old and our opinion of you will take on a whole different meaning. I hope you didn't come here expecting to get a lot of support for what you propose!

You asked for our advice, do yourself (and him) a favour. Accept it and move on.

ObW

RockerBlocks Wrote:The child is still underage then. In the UK i believe it is 16.

In the eyes of the UK law, he would still be under age even if over the legal age of consent (16) as there is additional legislation that prevents any kind of inappropriate teacher - pupil relationship, same sex or otherwise.

All I care about is him. I have double citizenship. UK - Russia. So in case I have to quit school, I can always come back to Moscow and find a job there. I am working as teacher not for money, but just for entertainment. It's not even my major.
The only thing that stops me from getting together with him is because I love him, and I am not sure what would be the consequences for him, even if we start this thing after he is 16 and it would be legal. That's all I care about. I don't wanna hurt him or something.

Sometimes you just gotta say no. Love finds it's way in our lives in many ways. Some more inconvenient than others. There will be a special person for you. Patience is key. Pain is temporary and you only have one life. Don't mess it up over the impossible.