Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm scared of replying my former best friend
Thanks for all of your replies so far. I haven't replied yet, but intend to do so tonight.

It's a long and twisted story really, and I don't fully understand myself either. I'm in therapy.
I do have a university degree, in a subject (scandinavian studies) that doesn't really result in jobs. When I was young, I picked a subject that I knew I would love studying, and as long as I'd study, it would keep me away from the job world, which I was always scared of.

On top of having no proper qualification, on and off depression, a job phobia (the social aspect of it, not the work itself), a low self-esteem (thanks dad and school bullying) and little to none work experience, I have a life-long condition where I can't handle unforeseen stress very well.
I jobbed as a tour guide after university, and right after a traumatic first work experience, they fired me. That's 8 years ago, and I wrote a few applications since, but always, 5 minutes into thinking about "getting a job", I get a heavy depression, so I avoid the topic.

I'm very lucky to be financially OK, but stability isn't forever, and it can't buy me any self-esteem.

What united my friend and me back then is the love for making music. That should be a topic we can focus on.

Aquarius Wrote:Thanks for all of your replies so far. I haven't replied yet, but intend to do so tonight.

It's a long and twisted story really, and I don't fully understand myself either. I'm in therapy.
I do have a university degree, in a subject (scandinavian studies) that doesn't really result in jobs. When I was young, I picked a subject that I knew I would love studying, and as long as I'd study, it would keep me away from the job world, which I was always scared of.

On top of having no proper qualification, on and off depression, a job phobia (the social aspect of it, not the work itself), a low self-esteem (thanks dad and school bullying) and little to none work experience, I have a life-long condition where I can't handle unforeseen stress very well.
I jobbed as a tour guide after university, and right after a traumatic first work experience, they fired me. That's 8 years ago, and I wrote a few applications since, but always, 5 minutes into thinking about "getting a job", I get a heavy depression, so I avoid the topic.

I'm very lucky to be financially OK, but stability isn't forever, and it can't buy me any self-esteem.

What united my friend and me back then is the love for making music. That should be a topic we can focus on.

Most college majors today are practically useless. Women's studies, theatre and arts and stuff like that. The ones that are truly growing are the STEM majors: Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and Technology. Sorry, I got the order wrong, but I really feel that as long as technology is on teh rise, it won't go away. Theatre is bull, no offense. I really feel that most of the jobs in the coming years will be replaced by technology. That's my prediction. Get used to it or get left out of it.

I think that you should look carefully at the two posts you have made here and then combine them in to a reply to your fried. Tell him that you are glad to hear from him but feel badly that you cannot offer a great deal of good news about yourself and that that bothers you. I have a feeling that he will still want to get together and that he will say so.
I bid NO Trump!