Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm thinking of adopting a child
Well, not really ADOPTING ADOPTING but supporting one on a regular basis.

I know there are many organisations out there that can help but I don't know where to start.

I didn't want it to be just an anonymous contribution, I'd like to help a specific child and keep track of his/her growth.

I'm never going to have kids but I don't want my life to completely useless and futile and helping a kid in need could be a good start.

Any tips?

I wanted to do that to, so i got an underage boyfriend xD (jk)

I am sponsoring 2 boys. One is in Addis Ababa and one is in Jakarta. Am planning a trip to Addis later this year to meet one of them. I love it especially the letters, real letters, not email.
Do it!

You have to be VERY, VEEERRRRYYY careful about sponsorships.

Most of them are nothing more than scams, while others take at least 75% - 90% of each dollar you donate, for themselves (the organization).

I remember "back when", that Christian Childrens Fund (now called Child Fund) was advertised ALL over the place here in the USA.

After a few years, some investigative reports got into the company financial reports to see exactly HOW much of each dollar actually, physically, went to buy food for the kids advertised on TV.
They said that at least 75% of each dollar went to "administrative fee's", and %10 or more went to things like advertising. The reporters claimed that only about 5 cents out of every dollar actually went to the support of people.

And on top of that, the delivery method of the "foods" were horrific. If they were delivered by plane, they were just dropped out of the plane as it flew over. These areas have no airports.

Make sure the organization you donate too uses at least 50% of each dollar for what it is actually meant for. Otherwise you are just wasting your money.

I support an Australian organization called Barnardos, I know it might sound selfish but I believe in cleaning up our own backyard first. There are so many children that need help.

Rainbowmum Wrote:I support an Australian organization called Barnardos, I know it might sound selfish but I believe in cleaning up our own backyard first. There are so many children that need help.

Good point.

If you want to help people, try looking in your own area first.
Orphanages, Womens Shelters, Abandoned Children Organizations.........all need money.

The good thing about a lot of local charities, is that you can donate your clothes, money, sell-able items, and food in person. If you do, be sure to always get a receipt!!! If you donate so much during the year, you can take it off your taxes.

Woman's Shelters often have moms with their kids in tow.... I have no idea how up close and personal you want to get with that though as most of the women have 'problems' and are looking for a knight in shining armor to bale them out of trouble.

I so wanted to help people back in the day, I got involved with local shelters, churches, etc....

Churches in the USA are the primary charity resource and are the best to go to to ask who needs help in the community.

Seriously, consider the disadvantage at home first - your own community. Yeah sure millions are starving in Africa, but there is most likely a few dozen starving in your home town.

And Mr. Tinkles is right, many of these big organizations suck up most of the dollar you spend to finance administration and the CEO.... Once again its going to be a church you need to really think about.

Catholic Charities and Episcopalian/Anglican are pretty decent. Yes a chunk of the change goes to financing the administration part, however since most of the workers are clerical (as in collar wearing, not filing) less is spent in admin costs.

Other things to consider is the friary. I know that the St. Francis Friars dedicate most of the donations they receive to the local communities. Unlike Monks, Friars are part of the community, go out and actually do things. Monks tend to focus on prayer, meditation and shut themselves off from the secular world. Nunneries - well that varies.

Speaking of nunneries - many orphanages are ran by nuns, orphanages in most places are under funded and can do with a good benefactor or five. Not just monetary wise, but also real time assistance donation of skills, time, labor, etc.

Stick with reputable, secular charities. All the Christian-based foundations use a large portion of the funds for proselytizing and missionary work.

Why not become a foster parent?

MisterTinkles Wrote:Most of them are nothing more than scams, while others take at least 75% - 90% of each dollar you donate, for themselves (the organization).

This is why I would honestly prefer to go to that specific family myself and just help them out myself financially.