Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help
LJay Wrote:In a sense I can understand what the judge's wife is saying, but I would not send that invoice, though I might prepare the information for later use. Sending it now may just inflame things.

Talk to a lawyer first. Do it ASAP.

Treat the gas shutoff as a misunderstanding. Contact the ga company and see what happened. Keep it low key.

At a glance, it seems that your arrangement has come to an end and that you will need to seek other employment and housing. What has transpired in the past is another issue.

^^^ I agree. It's quite possible and likely that the son-in-law isn't aware of the many various landlord/tenant laws requiring 24-72 hour notices and such... although ignorance of the law isn't an excuse/alibi either.

I also agree that under the new... "management"... and in lieu of you getting an eviction notice (legally?) you'd best be looking for other living arrangements.

Please tell me you're contacting these people. You can't rely on the wife of a deceased judge for legal advice. [And $12 an hour is extremely low. And trailers rent for a lot less than a house.]

California Rural Legal Assistance Inc.
1111 I Street, # 310 Modesto, CA 95354
(209) 577-3811

I'm sorry the saga continues for you Bowyn. I really wish I could help you.

I do disagree that spellings errors are okay. Real life is not the internet, and in my opinion, if this becomes more of a legal matter, a simple mistake can change the whole meaning and context of a sentence.
For example: I toke marijuana away from children every day. VS. I took marijuana away from children every day. I know it's kind of non-nonsensical, but you can clearly see by changing two letters it changes the whole context of the sentence. It almost literally costs nothing to check your spelling and punctuation, not to mention context.

The doc is good. Glad you got the best of support in this thread. Legal aid does address renter rights so that's an excellent resource and what a great thread of insights and suggestions. Nothing to add here but love and best wishes while you deal. Hope you'll get some comfort knowing we're all thinking of you as you deal with the crap. Knuddel
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Hi BA, feeling bad for ya. Going to spend time on the weekend and read your document.

Everything you have said sounds like a legitimate claim, should legitimate claims be based on what is right sense of 'fair play'. Courts and the legal systems do not always work that way.

I do hope that in some dark recess of your mind that you are prepared for being SOL.

It will be a messy argument to determine whether you are a tenant, a squatter, a friend, etc.. All those have ramifications on the ability to withhold utilities.

I do want it to work out good for you. Thoughts headed south. And with that I will say that I do not have a great grasp on California Family / Tenant Law issues, nor am I a lawyer here in Canada. I have, however, spent most of my career in the world of contract law. It is pretty easy to see the discussion from a formal legal standpoint (your legal representative suggesting much much more money, their legal representative stating much much less). What is not so easy is to see what a judge would decide. Heads or tails is a great 49.99999999 : 49.99999999 guessing game. But once every billion throws or so, the coin will land and stay precisely on its edge - never providing a head nor a tail. Judge's decisions typically fall in to the standing on edge scenario. You do not know when it will occur, or what it will be.

So I read the letter / invoice. It is an excellent SECOND or THIRD step in the process. There is a conversation (or two) that needs to occur prior to the letter.

One of those conversations is between you and Mr. Rodney (or Mrs. daughter), whoever are the brains of the operation. Your invoice is substantiation for that conversation. That conversation is the one where you say all that you have done over the past XXX years.

Should that conversation get derailed or not go as planned, it is likely that legal assistance is required. That would be the other conversation. Again, your invoice is substantiation for the words that are stated in that conversation.

As far as the spelling and feel of the invoice / letter. It is not for us to say. Those that will read it will be the ones that judge it most.

I deal with contractors and engineers everyday. The quality, and the lack thereof, varies widely. The bills get paid regardless.

Should this issue reach the formal legal circles, the final version of your invoice/letter will bear little semblance to what it presently is.

I have a textable phone and a number to call. If it helps to chat with a live person, or someone who resembles a live person, I can be reached on it.

Again, thoughts be with you.

PS: This has nothing to do with anyone on this forum, but to an event that occurred today. I do apologize to the mother / daughter for my actions and my response to their unplanned incursion in to my private space. Life happens, I over-reacted. I do not apologize for the words I used.

Can you dial 211? They might be able to get help right away.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I didn't know about the California Rural Legal Assistance Inc.

Yes many keep on telling me to get a lawyer type person, however no one has actually told me where to find one. And as I have pointed out in past, Google is not my friend - I still have no idea how to successfully navigate a search engine to get the data I want.

So I have than number now. I'll call them.

The propane thing has become a lot more complicated and I am most uncertain about the situation. It would appear that Rodney was told by them August 21st that it has to be put in his name since Bob is dead, and Rodney didn't do that. And from my conversation with the propane lady, it would appear that he would have been told that if he doesn't do this soon the tank would be locked.

So he knew this was going to happen....

Unfortunately with his being overseas I'm not getting his side of this story.

As for getting money - I'm not expecting that. I just want to make his life a bit miserable and demonstrate to him that there is a certain level of respect one should pay another person who does stuff for ya. He lacks respect, constantly makes inconsiderate noises at me.

Glad to hear you're calling California Rural Legal Assistance. Let us know what they have to say.

That will have to happen Monday.

Hopefully Monday I will have propane again... That little issue is a convoluted story.

Summery: Appearantly Rod was told on August 21 to switch the account to his name and failed to fill out the paperwork and sent it in. He was also told if it wasn't done then come October 1 the propane would be locked. So he has known for well over a month but did nothing, and didn't even inform me.

So I had to sign a Tax Exempt document to assure the propane folk I won't be using it for commercial purposes. I didn't get that until yesterday. Of course yesterday was Friday and lord knows no one wants to do things on a weekend.

Such is life.

Fortunately the days are still in the 80's and the night temperatures ain't that cold so I don't need heat. Cooking has been interesting - but I have the fire-pit to work with so 'camping out' has been kinda fun.

Hot water is electrical so that ain't a problem.