Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help deciding what to do w/my life
As a sophomore in high school you are at a time when lots of things are confusing. When you make decisions you want to know what the results will be but that is not always possible. Coming out will not necessarily mean rejection or acceptance. You just have to be ready for either. You should have your family's backing, especially if your mother and sister are already on board. It is a lot easier to face challenges when you have a chance to talk openly at home. As for a boyfriend, coming out can't guarantee that. High schoolers being who they are, you are going to have some who will accept and some who will not. what you are facing is a tricky path that could be very good for you, but not necessarily easy. Take your time. It is a big decision.
I bid NO Trump!

Sharkspeare Wrote:No one here can make your decision for you, but you knew that when you posted. But I will say that nowadays I keep hearing about guys in very conservative areas with conservative friends who are astonished by how warm and accepting their friends turned out to be. Bottom line: if they care about you, it doesn't really matter what gets you off.
Well yeah obviously I'm not going to be like "Skarkspheare said I should come out so I am". I just want you guys' advice and what you guys would do if you were in my situation.
Another thing I need help with is how I should come out. Do i post it on my ig or scream it in the middle of he hall (lol probably not that) or just tell one or two people and let it spread. I kinda want everyone to know at once so I don't have to keep telling people everyday for like 2 years. What did you guys do?

LJay Wrote:As a sophomore in high school you are at a time when lots of things are confusing. When you make decisions you want to know what the results will be but that is not always possible. Coming out will not necessarily mean rejection or acceptance. You just have to be ready for either. You should have your family's backing, especially if your mother and sister are already on board. It is a lot easier to face challenges when you have a chance to talk openly at home. As for a boyfriend, coming out can't guarantee that. High schoolers being who they are, you are going to have some who will accept and some who will not. what you are facing is a tricky path that could be very good for you, but not necessarily easy. Take your time. It is a big decision.

Ik that I'm not going to be handed like a gift basket with a boyfriend in it when I come out or anything lol, but don't you think that it is the first step to getting into a relationship?

Question, do you have a gsa at your high school? Do you have a glbtq center in your town? Is there a Pflag(parents and friends of lesbians and gays) in your town? Have you seen the movie Prayers for Bobby(true story)? Any of the above can halp you with your mom and maybe dating situation. Just be careful and stay safe. Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

James Wrote:Question, do you have a gsa at your high school? Do you have a glbtq center in your town? Is there a Pflag(parents and friends of lesbians and gays) in your town? Have you seen the movie Prayers for Bobby(true story)? Any of the above can halp you with your mom and maybe dating situation. Just be careful and stay safe. Jim

We have GSA in my school, but it would be pretty obvious if i joined it lol. I don't want to come out that way. Plus it's kind of a joke at my school...

Where we are at today, my idea of coming out is different than it was when I was young. I believe we have to get beyond that announcement thing and just do it by being who we are. If there is a discussion among a group of people about what celebrities are hot, a straight person doesn't qualify it with a "I'm straight and I like..." They just say the name of the opposite sex celebrity they find hot. If at work, straight people do not make an announcement about their sexual orientation before putting a photo of their spouse or significant other on their desk, they just do it. That's how we need to start doing it. An announcement highlights how we are different, not what we have in common. I know were not completely there yet. Most are still not there yet where an explicit announcement is not necessary with our parents and with our doctors we will probably always just have to come out and say it, but for coming out to most people, my advice is to just come out by simply living your life honestly.

Coming from a different era--I'm 66--it is wonderful to hear a young guy saying what you just did. You have no idea what it would have emant to me to have been able to say that when I was in high school.

You have an excellent point.
I bid NO Trump!

ok but do look at the other options and don't do anything on impulse, nice to have chatted with you, stay safe, Jim
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]

Iceblink Wrote:Where we are at today, my idea of coming out is different than it was when I was young. I believe we have to get beyond that announcement thing and just do it by being who we are. If there is a discussion among a group of people about what celebrities are hot, a straight person doesn't qualify it with a "I'm straight and I like..." They just say the name of the opposite sex celebrity they find hot. If at work, straight people do not make an announcement about their sexual orientation before putting a photo of their spouse or significant other on their desk, they just do it. That's how we need to start doing it. An announcement highlights how we are different, not what we have in common. I know were not completely there yet. Most are still not there yet where an explicit announcement is not necessary with our parents and with our doctors we will probably always just have to come out and say it, but for coming out to most people, my advice is to just come out by simply living your life honestly.

I totally agree with this. Announcements are very bizarre to me. I would never "make an announcement" about who I like to have sex with.

Depends on the school and the location.

Most likely not an altogether great idea if you fear rejection from your peers. Most may actually do so.