Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I think gays are wrong and unnatural...just my opinion though"
What do you guys think of people who are very much anti-gay for all the reasons science has proven incorrect, but defend themselves by saying something like "It's just my opinion, don't get so upset." ?

If someone says things like they think homosexuals are just whiny deviants who choose to be risque and everything about them is wrong and unnatural, when they say it's just their opinion it kind of annoys me. Sure it's their opinion, but it's a very narrow-minded and uneducated opinion. If they bothered to do a little research, they might change their mind. I usually respect all kinds of opinions if they can defend themselves, but I can't if it's one based on ignorance. It's like if someone said "I believe 2+2=9. That's just my opinion and I hope you can respect it."

I'm saying this because I see it a lot. When someone who's anti-gay gets in a debate with someone who's pro-gay or accepting of it, the anti-gay person usually just gets very angry and hateful or forces the debate to end by saying it's just their opinion and won't listen any further.

There is no exit ramp on the highway of BIGOTRY. The reformed jump ship and heal wounds as a result of it. Wavey
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

I'd like to also add a nice saying that comes in handy often...

You can't change others but you can give them something different to respond to.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

Some things can't be settled with a discussion. Examples of those things would be politics and religion. There's very little to be done to change core beliefs and sadly some core beliefs are that homosexuality is unnatural or even satanic.

When I come across it I attempt to help by saying simple things. Such as "The way you feel when you look at a girl is the way I feel when I look at a man.. It's perfectly natural to me."

The real issue isn't so much understanding it as it is accepting it. You don't need to understand that pi has an infinite number of decimals or why, you just need to accept it. You're not going to change pi. You just cut some decimals and let the result be a bit rounded. Life goes on, nobody really cares. Just accept it.

I like this statement.

Attack the argument not the person.

And have a great day. Smile

I've come to learn that people who have such an opinion are ignorant and are not worth arguing with. And not because they are against me for the reason of being gay, but that their assumptions are just ignorant. And fighting with stubborn, ignorant people will just get you worked up. It's like playing chess with a pigeon, and if you win, the pigeon will still walk around the whole chess board, taking a shit on it, as if it was them who dominated you. With people like that, just play dumb with them, and go on about your day. Then it's a win/win. You won't end up in jail. And they're still alive, able to spread the loving truth of humanity to others.

It's ridiculous that people believe they can be excused for the things they said if the follow it up with "...but that's just my opinion" or precede it with "No offense but..."

People like that prove only one point, that they are ignorant, stupid, and not worthy to breathe my air. Just sayin'... Wink

Unfortunately people who have such opinions, and choose to be vocal with it, are not the type to engage in a rational debate on the subject. The sad thing is that some of those most vocal are in fact in denial of their own sexuality. We have seen this time and again, especially within the Catholic Church, which has been rocked by recent gay scandals.

In the end I choose to ignore them rather than waste my energy debating with them.

ObW
X

Response: "You're free to believe what you want, but what you believe is ignorant of the science, and hateful. Good day."

Also, they take offense over your opinion and judge you harshly while demanding you don't judge them.