Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've finally told my parents.
Hi Everyone,
It's been a long time since I last posted and so much has happened in that time. The last time I posted I was struggling to tell my parents about being gay, and now that I am finally over that last hurdle I thought I should post to let everyone who helped me know how things are going and to let anyone else who is in the same position know that it's never too late and worrying about what might happen is far worse than what usually does happen.
I met a great guy earlier this year, who I am still with, and always vowed that I would tell my parents if I met someone, as it would not be fair on my boyfriend to hide him away. I decided to let them know a bit at a time, so first told them I was seeing someone and gave them no more details. After a while I started mentioning his name and to my surprise neither of them seemed as horrified as I'd thought they would be. To be honest they weren't horrified at all. Then one day my mother asked if we would both like to go over for Sunday lunch with them and since then we go over most weekends.
I can't believe I waited so long and let my fear of what I thought they would think stop me from telling them for so long. I know everyones situation is different, but I just wanted to let you all know that coming out is not always as bad as you think it might be. And it just might be the best thing you've ever done.
Don't let fear get the better of you.
All the best to you all. It really does get better.

Jared x

Congratulations for telling your parents ! ! !

Congratulations J.

Feels great doesn't it Smile

ObW
X

It's always heartwarming to hear about successful coming outs, I'm really happy for you, enjoy your life with your partner!

JaredEthan Wrote:Hi Everyone,
It's been a long time since I last posted and so much has happened in that time. The last time I posted I was struggling to tell my parents about being gay, and now that I am finally over that last hurdle I thought I should post to let everyone who helped me know how things are going and to let anyone else who is in the same position know that it's never too late and worrying about what might happen is far worse than what usually does happen.
I met a great guy earlier this year, who I am still with, and always vowed that I would tell my parents if I met someone, as it would not be fair on my boyfriend to hide him away. I decided to let them know a bit at a time, so first told them I was seeing someone and gave them no more details. After a while I started mentioning his name and to my surprise neither of them seemed as horrified as I'd thought they would be. To be honest they weren't horrified at all. Then one day my mother asked if we would both like to go over for Sunday lunch with them and since then we go over most weekends.
I can't believe I waited so long and let my fear of what I thought they would think stop me from telling them for so long. I know everyones situation is different, but I just wanted to let you all know that coming out is not always as bad as you think it might be. And it just might be the best thing you've ever done.
Don't let fear get the better of you.
All the best to you all. It really does get better.

Jared x
Well well done, Jared. I'm sure your mother (and maybe father) just had an inkling but were too polite to ask until you were ready to say. Probably they are happy for you and glad to see you are no longer alone. I think parents worry about us ending up all alone in life. So when they know someone's going to be caring for us, they feel relieved. That could be how they were feeling. They've obviously also seen that you've made the right choice of partner. And probably they are just relieved to see you happy, at last.
Good job, in any case. Bravo! Multijump

well done Smile

Awesome! Confusedmile:

Thanks guys. It's taken me so long to get to this point and it feels so good to have the support of my parents who genuinely seem to have taken to my boyfriend. I can't believe how well they get on. They obviously really like him, which probably helps a lot and makes it easier for them to accept him as my partner.

Congratulations that's fantastic. Smile
An eye for an eye

Congrats happy it all turned out great for you:-)