• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IBM storage circa 1956
Almost unbelievable but it's true:

http://petapixel.com/2014/10/29/take-21-...-raw-file/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Oh it is true.

[Image: harddrive1.jpg]

When I was in first year university, we did our computer labs in a building with banks of IBM machines stretching for miles.....all with less computing capability than I now have in my own own office.

Did you know that there is more computer capability in a singing greeting card than existed in the world before 1956?

Did it tell time?

That is awesome. I love looking and thinking about how far we have come in such a short amount of time compared to any other time in history. Of course, that could become our downfall. Unlike any other time, we are moving so fast that we no longer have the time to think should we do this. Instead we immediately do it and the consequences be damn. In the past once a technological leap occurred, it took years for us to come to grasp all the applications and moral ambiguities that went along with it.

Rareboy Wrote:Oh it is true.

Did you know that there is more computer capability in a singing greeting card than existed in the world before 1956?

The way that technology has moved, yes, I believe it.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

There's a Circa actually in display in IBM's Head Office Canada - Pharmacy and Steele Road in Toronto. Were I used to work when I was IBM tech Smile