Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ian Thorpe (Aussie Swimmer)
ETOTE Wrote:If I was one of his fellow team mates who was straight, I'd call a press conference, create a buzz about a big announcement, sit down for an interview with Oprah or something etc and come out as straight.

Then laugh when all the buzz just dies instantly and the sound of a single cricket fills the press room.

pm me if you don't understand the point.

If you want to give me the point, sorry, you're going to have to do more than PM me stud.

I'm trying to understand Thorpedo's side in this.

I feel some real sympathy for Thorpedo. Aussie gays have been talking about him for years and it's been a lot of pretty tacky shit. If it was said about me I'd really feel reluctant to want to have anything to do with them.... and probably be depressed about it. I hope they all put on a big show to make him feel welcomed.

From what I've heard while he was living in LA he fell in with the Hollywood crowd who are not out to the public but is out behind the scenes... an elite bunch of snobs who don't live very admirable lifestyles.

From what I've heard he's been fighting a weight issue and getting a bit of flack for it... that would be depressing. Hiding from terrorist paparazzi & press would be another downer. I'm sure there was a bit of financial concern factored in. Family and friends?

If I knew how to contact him I'd offer to let him come hang out here for a while and learn some simple laid back fun from people who've never heard of him. I bet he'd like that.

ExpatBrit77 Wrote:On the other I feel slightly sad/angry at this media obsession with demanding to know celebrities' sexual orientation when frankly it's nobody's business.

memechose Wrote:Aussie gays have been talking about him for years and it's been a lot of pretty tacky shit. If it was said about me I'd really feel reluctant to want to have anything to do with them....
From what I've heard while he was living in LA he fell in with the Hollywood crowd who are not out to the public but is out behind the scenes... an elite bunch of snobs who don't live very admirable lifestyles.

^this is why I would do it. To mock the hypocritical BS of our society. To show support for him and point out how idiotic it is that people make such a huge issue about people's sexuality, especially if you are famous and interestingly only if you are anything but straight....

Ironic humor to shame the a-hole hypocrites.

I suppose he did "vehemently lie" about it for a long time. But the poor bastard's been famous since he was 14 and must have been asked whether he was gay a million times. For all we know he was utterly in denial about the whole thing until well after he'd been asked a million times whether he was gay.

Those of us who came out of the closet didn't have the world's media hounding us about whether we liked dick or p*ssy since we were 14. Most of us were allowed to slowly accept who we are/were at our own pace.

I do also feel very strongly that this media obsession with outing celebrities is absolutely disgusting. GLBT people have the right to be out of the closet. They also have the right to come out when it is right for them to do so and not a moment before. That's kind of irrelevant but I suppose I do wonder how much of his coming out was to do with him feeling comfortable with liking d*ck and howo much of it was "fuck I'm so sick of these bloody journalists asking me". I really hope it was the former, not the latter.