Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Icons of your life
Who are some of the people who you have looked up to, who have meant something to you, who have been an inspiration to you?

Real people, not characters or fictitious people. Famous or not, alive or deceased.

Here's a few of my personal icons:

[Image: DorisDay4.jpg]

[Image: Donna-Summer.jpg]

[Image: BOY_GEORGE_2012_bob_dylan.jpeg?__SQUARES...5049457337]

This man.

Mick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Interesting thread, mrTinkles...

I would have to say my mother she brought me and my sister up by her self after dad died. Then she married my step dad and had another child. Bringing up three children with hardly any money but she made sure that my sisters and I never went with out. Even If she went with out. Mum was fantastic when I told her I was gay. Smile mum is the best I love you. Smile

I think reading Robert Anton Wilson has actually changed my life for the better. That's not to say I endorse all his ideas but I think going along with him awhile helped me and I do admire him.

Talking about others would probably require too much of an explanation as they're not well known enough, or there'd be likely misconceptions to explain away. And it would probably baffle many given the wide spectrum they exist over, from Communists to Libertarians, transhumanists to living simply & rurally, Christians to Satanists and Atheists, Wiccans to Discordians and Taoists, and iconoclastic Nihilists to a historian who values tradition. Hmm, now that I think about it, I think what they all have in common are values, like stars that can be light years apart and yet be in the same galaxy of humor, contemplation (tackling questions of why we exist, and why we SHOULD exist which is a different question), and random acts of kindness. And at least all those I'm thinking of now (including RAW) could also have this applied to them:

[Image: beautiful-people.jpg]

I admire the people who instead of getting chewed up and then part of the beast that is this cruel world instead bounce back stronger than ever and help others find their own strength, and those I'm thinking of do (or did) exactly that.

And I know at least a few of them can see across the gulf of their beliefs to connect with others of similar values. For example, I met with Julia in 2000, and despite all the horrid things said about her and the fanaticism that led her to sit in a redwood tree for over 2 years, she had a very inclusive perspective and she saw that people needed to work and showed compassion for those in the logging industry. What many outsiders don't know is that Pacific Lumber used to be an ethical company that was careful not to strip mine its resources and think of later generations, but Maxxam (a ridiculously corrupt company, I mean "Mr. Burns" of the Simpsons kind) took them over in a hostile takeover, bought off judges and newspapers (it was a running joke that we could tell whenever a local paper published "as news" what Maxxam told them to because it ironically sounded more professional and was free of spelling errors, though it served as PR for Maxxam), it was even said (and I believe it) that they paid cops who got in trouble for abusing tree sitters. Whereas Pacific Lumber had its home among the redwoods, Maxxam was based in Texas and obviously intend to clear cut it and screw the community over in every detail to squeeze as much money out of it and leave an economic & environmental wasteland behind. And when Julia spoke to people who weren't tree sitters she reminded them of this, and that she wasn't against responsible logging, and that her vision allowed for long term benefits while Maxxam only allowed for short term and were screwing over the locals in ways that Pacific Lumber never did. And she convinced many who hated her until they talked to her. I think that's why there was such a campaign to demonize her, she's too dangerous to TPTB. And her ability to remain calm in the face of hostility, clear headed when insulted or accused, and compassion for those with a different view and trying to find a way to work with them rather than just considering them enemies is something I admire, and I believe it would be a much better world if she were the standard rather than the exception.

Nicki Minaj.

This girl. She may look weird, but that's just the thing. She is herself and she doesn't care what anybody says. All the hate that she gets and she is still real. <3

Nathan Wrote:Nicki Minaj.

This girl. She may look weird, but that's just the thing. She is herself and she doesn't care what anybody says. All the hate that she gets and she is still real. <3

Miss Nicki RULES!!!!

[Image: nicki_minaj_630.jpg?w=620]

Richard Bach.

[Image: story-27-richard-bach-176599.jpg]

Dolly Parton

Her songs have deeply moved me over the years, and her philosophy on life is amazing. Sure, she's suffered her own demons (namely body dismorphia, and she is open about it unlike many "celebrities" and their issues). But then she's proof that we're all human.

I would post an image but I'm too new Sad

my housemate's mom
and my brother ~