Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Can't Say Anything Nice...
So apparently singer/actress Zooey Deschanel (She & Him; Elf; FOX's upcoming comedy The New Girl) is a co-founder of a web site as well. She wrote this piece that I stumbled upon today, and of which I'm only posting part, about keeping comments on the web site more on the positive/friendly side. I think it can apply to all sites though and especially having seen a couple negative comments lately, thought it was worth posting here as a reminder to us all
Quote:This is an Internet rant about Internet rants. This is a rant about anonymous, unconstructive, Internet meanness. It’s not because I think everyone should be happy and cheerful all the time. It’s just that I think people should be decent and respectful to each other.

Everyone has a right to individual opinions, but just because you don’t like something does not mean that no one else does. So, unless you have some really thoughtful and constructive criticism, why say anything at all? Or rather, why say it publicly? With the advent of the world wide web was born this conundrum; while the Internet has the fantastic ability to bring people of common interests together, it simultaneously gives people the ability to say all the nasty things they want, completely anonymously.

I have the utmost respect for true critics and writers who devote themselves to analyzing and appreciating art; this is NOT who I am talking about. Often the content of comments sections goes something like this (in Mad Libs form):

SouPerP1mp69: I hate (name of an artist/celebrity not in room)! He/she is (unflattering adjective) and (unflattering adjective) and someone should tell her/him that he/she should stop (verb/name of profession)-ing.

Well SouPerP1mp69, you lost me there! If I didn’t like sushi, would I say, “All sushi restaurants should stop making it for other people because I don’t like it”? No, I would not because that makes NO SENSE. If you don’t like a writer, don’t read their books; if you don’t like an actor, don’t watch their movies and so on and so forth. The people who are making art, successfully or unsuccessfully, have a right to do so and I can guarantee you that none of them are spending time making the things that they make for people who hate them.

So, why would someone go on a message board like a weird little sneak and write a bunch of mean stuff about someone? There are certainly artists that I don’t particularly care for, but do I publicly go and say mean things about them? No, I do not, because they shouldn’t care what I think, because they’re not doing it for me and if I don’t like it, then I am simply not their crowd. If people are supporting their efforts then I deduce that they have an audience of people who enjoy what they do.

It’s wonderful that people have different tastes. The word “opinion”, intrinsically, has no “right or wrong”, only “yours and mine”. People can buy into, surround themselves with and immerse themselves in whatever suits their fancy! So why rain on other peoples’ parades?
Full posting: http://hellogiggles.com/if-you-dont-have...ice-to-say

I think I push it a little, hope you guys can forgive me xx

people have there own opinions and I respect that...I didnt realise I would upset a few people. Although that isnt an exsues plaese for give me for starting the post about glee being rubish..

No worries sweetlad, we all have our opinions... but some of the comments just really made me think of this, that a friend had posted earlier today on facebook. But you aren't the first and you won't be the last, I just thought it was well written and a good reminder to us all - even me, as I certainly have my moments too! Smile

I try to be constructive and supportive and leave the garbage at the street where it belongs. Hope I succeed.

Aww sweetlad don't be so hard on yourself. I admit I didn't read your thread at first because I know nothing about glee because i dont like it. And they murderers the rocky horror picture show. I went andtook a peak and it didn't seem like you were being too abusive. Maybe a little forward but then again Im not very fond of itmyself so I might be biased on your posts Tongue

I push it way too far sometimes, and i plan on continuing in the same fashion.

Oh, I criticize, but I have also studied critical theory. I try to give reasons why I don't like something, perhaps I should use examples next time pertaining to the "artist" or the show specifically.

I have to rethink alot of what I say alot of the time. I delete alot and sometimes when I know I have nothing nice to say I decline commenting. Mutual respect is always a work in progress.

THANK YOU, jbrowder24!!! Man! It's true that this here is a forum and we...discuss things and everyone can give their own opinion. Yet there are cases in which people are just rudely stating their own opinion without regarding others' thoughts...
And when people do this on Facebook.!! oooohhhh!!! Angry Like, you've posted something on your OWN wall, something you really like or really hate, and suddenly mr. sarcasm comes and starts listing stuff tha he doesn't like about the show making it look like it's constructive criticism. And I'm like "FUCK YOU, this is MY page and i LIKE this regardless of whatever reasons you're giving me not to. I'm not making you like it too and if you're just gonna sit there and hate on it, then Imma unfriend you." *snaps his fingers and doesn the 'mmmmmhhmmm' head move*