Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois Republican Leaders Support Marriage Equality
This is encouraging:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2...-equality/

Quote:“More and more Americans understand that if two people want to make a lifelong commitment to each other, government should not stand in their way,” Brady said.

“Giving gay and lesbian couples the freedom to get married honors the best conservative principles. It strengthens families and reinforces a key Republican value – that the law should treat all citizens equally.”

Hopefully this means the GOP is pretty much throwing in the towel on this issue. If they manage to keep their office after this I'll certainly feel optimistic. That said I'm gonna wait a few weeks to make sure they don't get removed by an emergency recall election before celebrating. Wink

One of the comments:

Shorter Brady: “Gay marriage has outlived its usefulness as a wedge issue in elections. Time to move on. (And we’ve still got abortion.)”

^^^Absolutely wrong.^^^

The conservatives realized they alienated an entire demographic THEY COULD HAVE USED in this last election, had they not taken such a ridiculous stance on the issue. They are opting to befriend what was their "opposition" in this campaign in the interim and garner more votes in four years...GAWDAMMNIT I HATE POLITICS WHY IS IT SO ADDICTING

alas, there might be hope after all:biggrin:

Not until the last old dinosaur, relic of the lost age dies.

Gay Marriage is one of those hot topic buttons that can be quickly pushed when something the politicians don't want to deal with needs to be hidden. So too is Gun Control - a nice handy hot topic button to slam when we do not want to deal with the Budget, when we don't want to be seen being the political pervs we are.

It has been one of those long lasting hot topic buttons which the older politicians don't want to give up. Younger "conservatives" are ready to move on. They see it as a 'non-issue' that really doesn't stack up against the typical broken family of the 21st century where one parent gets the custody and the other pays out the nose. It also falls in the face of the over 50% divorce rate and the very high 2nd and third divorced married people.

Once the old one finally (mercifully) kick the bucket, Gay marriage will slide into place almost magically. We the People are done with the issue being an issue.

i hope more states allow same sex marriage.
in some states, including Colorado, home for me, there are local defense of marriage laws preventing full same sex marriage legislation.

what's this, Republicans are trying to be likeable now?
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]